Friday, January 12

Small Heath & Kingshurst

I said the other day that I needed a good adventure to really put 2007 on the map - well today's trip turned out to be just the job. I headed across to Small Heath and Kingshurst as there are some significant changes to bus routes in the east of Birmingham that are coming into force at the end of the month, and I wanted to investigate the routes prior to the amendments, along with a few other bits and pieces as well...

Small Heath Station: my first proper look around the station, not that impressed. Got a train photo and some platform views (mainly of a graffiti covered shelter) but a photo of the main frontage proved difficult, especially with the busy traffic on Golden Hillock Road.

Small Heath Park: A few local photos with a walk around Small Heath Park, accompanied by either pigeons or geese plus the occasional squirrel. I came across what I thought was a lake only to realise it was actually just a flooded field, so I quickly turned my attentions to the bandstand and the real lake before heading to the 28 terminus

The 28: The route was the main inspiration for this trip, and had intrigued me for years yet I'd never been on it. The 28 has been a staple service in the Birmingham network for years, linking Small Heath and Great Barr via Fox & Goose and Erdington, although this is about to change as the Small Heath section is due to be withdrawn and replaced with a new service (the 24 I think). The Small Heath terminus is on Waverley Road, overlooking the park, and buses seem to layover here for a good twenty minutes or so, giving me time to try and get a decent photo. I then had the joy of a traditional Metrobus ride past the terraces of Oldknow Road and the local Asda, up Heybarnes Road and Hob Moor Road to alight on Belchers Lane. Classic bus exploration

Bordesley Green: A rather frustrating time trying unsuccessfully to track down a photo of the 28A round by Heartlands Hospital. I never seem to have much luck in this part of Birmingham as I couldn't get a 69 photo last time I was in this neck of the woods

The 28A: I didn't get the photo, but at least I caught the bus. More Metrobus action, up through Alum Rock, past the Ward End pub and the Fox & Goose to alight at Hodge Hill (Hunters Moon)

Walk to Kingshurst: Starting in Hodge Hill with a look at the Common and the Hunters Moon, then heading down Heath Way into Buckland End (The Heathway pub and local shops including the Hart Centre). Further along Heath Way is Shard End, with more local shops including a post office and the Shards Fryer, whilst photos were provided by the library on Shustoke Road. A walk through the estate (Pithall Road, Silver Birch Road) leads into Kingshurst. I feel that I know the area much better now having passed through on routes such as the 89 and 92 previously.

Kingshurst: A good local centre with photo opportunities to investigate. The local shopping precinct includes the post office and the library, whilst The Mountfort pub is across the road. Kingshurst Way emerges by the bus terminus, overlooking Babbs Mill Nature Reserve, and I wait for the 26 to arrive.

The 26: another route that's soon to be changed, reverting back to running between Birmingham and Bromford Bridge only - it only seems 5 minutes since the route was extended to cover the 92 and now its changing back! The changes will bring about 2 new routes, the 54 and the 56, to form a series of routes alongside the existing 55 service. Today's 26 experience meant another Metrobus, and a great ride back into Birmingham via Castle Bromwich, Shard End, Bromford and Saltley.

Smethwick Galton Bridge: After the 26 it was a quick dash to Moor Street and a train to Galton Bridge for my Wolverhampton connection - I usually try and avoid New Street if possible. It was only half three when I got to Smethwick but the remaining daylight was already going, and I enjoyed a quiet wait for the Wolverhampton train, soaking up the station's relaxed atmosphere on a Friday afternoon

I have to say I really enjoyed the outing - I may not have got all of the photos I wanted, but it was just good to be back out there on the buses and trains, doing what I've done for years. Trip done, thats probably enough adventure for the time being, but I'm already looking forward to what February might bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment