Saturday, February 15

Waterways Walks: Curdworth Locks

Storm Dennis is howling outside as I bring you news of a St Valentine's Day venture along a stretch of Warwickshire's waterways. What follows isn't quite a love letter although I do now hold the Curdworth Locks flight in considerably high affection...

- The Boat, Minworth -
I'll spare you the boring initial logistics of getting to the other side of Sutton Coldfield and pick up my tale in Minworth. The X4 drops me off at an Asda Supercentre but I manage to extricate myself from the retail park in order to join the canal beside the Boat pub. The initial section of my walk is familiar from the Curdworth stroll I did last year, passing Minworth Green and Broad Balk bridges as I leave the West Midlands behind. Muddy patches and pesky puddles mean the towpath resembles an assault course in places, especially when I have to limbo under a fallen tree near Curdworth Church.

- Curdworth Tunnel -
New exploration awaits once I've negotiated Curdworth Tunnel, the murky innards of which put me at risk of getting coated in cobwebs. The tunnel was designed by the canal engineer John Smeaton and features 'horse tread' towpath ridges to prevent slippy situations while a wrought iron handrail also assists with keeping my balance. Baylis's Bridge is my first new discovery of the day and in turn precedes Curdworth Top Lock, these days sited almost in the shadows of the M6 Toll motorway - let's just say I prefer 18th century transportation routes to their modern counterparts!

- Lock Three -
Next up, Dunton Wharf serves as a water point as the canal passes quietly below Wishaw before plotting a north-easterly course towards Kingsbury. The M42 is a constant companion although surrounding fields help reduce the intrusive effect of traffic noises as I continue through a sequence of further locks. Each one has a little number stump so I've plenty to keep my camera occupied, and the sun is even threatening to put in an appearance. Lock Four (at Marston Lane) is accompanied by keepers' cottages and an outhouse plus a disused kayak reclaimed for horticultural purposes. 

- Lock Seven with Marston Field Bridge -
The Curdworth Flight comprises eleven locks in total spaced out over two and a bit miles. I end up accounting for nine of them, including Lock 6 (with White Bridge), Lock 7 (adjacent to Marston Field Bridge) and Lock 9 (at Cheatles Farm, complete with appropriate agricultural aromas). The whiff of manure up one's nostrils certainly seems to be shifting the sniffles I'd been suffering from over the past few days - sometimes an invigorating walk is just what the doctor ordered!

- Dog & Doublet, Bodymoor Heath -
This isn't one of my most pubcentric blogposts although a refreshment stop or two is always welcome. Step forward the Dog & Doublet, invitingly positioned overlooking the aforementioned Lock 9 but otherwise accessible via Dog Lane. Dating from the 1780s, the building is Grade II listed and has been a pub since 1835 or thereabouts; from the four cask ales I opt for a refreshing pint of Wainwright and listen in as some retired folk enjoy their lunches. The traditional interior features sepia scenes of the local area, not forgetting that mainstay of canalside boozers - horse brasses!

- Kingsbury Water Park -
I rejoin the Birmingham & Fazeley for the short distance to Bodymoor Heath Bridge where my exit from the towpath means I won't quite cover the whole Curdworth flight today. No matter, a visit to nearby Kingsbury Water Park ensures I still get an additional fix of watery scenery. Created from the craters of a gravel extraction site, the park spans 15 lakes across 600+ acres either side of the M42 - a visitor centre, miniature railway and children's farm are all part of the attraction. My pictures focus on the expanse that is Bodymoor Heath Water although I make sure to investigate the community wetlands too. 

- St Peter & St Paul, Kingsbury -
Crossing the River Tame into Kingsbury village itself, I can hardly fail to notice the brooding remains of Kingsbury Hall perched high above the riverbank. Perimeter railings prevent me from getting a closer look so I can only ponder the former manor house features from afar. The Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul is close at hand for an extra slice of history while other landmarks in the vicinity include two pubs (the Royal Oak and the White Swan), a small independent theatre and a shopping parade although in Mr D9's absence I won't dwell too much on the crumbling old closet block. 

- Wilnecote Station Sign -
My intended Diamond connection into Tamworth has gone AWOL so, rather than stick around in Kingsbury for another hour or more, I hotfoot it along the A51 to ultimately finish up at Wilnecote Station. Off-the-cuff exploring can be very enlightening and in this case I'm unexpectedly introduced to Dosthill with its Co-op store, fish bar and the Fox Inn (ex-Ansells). Two Gates briefly makes a dusky impression courtesy of the Bulls Head before I avail myself of the 16:37 train home. Thus concludes my Valentine's message, light on romance perhaps but plenty of camera courtship to celebrate - cheers!

6 comments:

  1. Curdworth Top Lock was moved about 100 yards (maybe more) to accommodate the new road, but it is difficult to work out exactly where it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How intriguing Pete, and thanks too for the summertime pictures you sent through on Twitter. I wouldn't have known the lock had been relocated but I'll look out for clues next time I'm in the area. Cheers, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britain Beermat11:57 pm

    You clock up some miles Paul! Not been to the dog and doublet for years and good to see it hasn't changed much either...
    Glad to see your coming more and more over to my neck of the woods!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best Beermat, and ended up doing more miles than anticipated due to missing buses. I guess I am getting closer to your territory although the LE67 postcode will remain a Life After Football stronghold for a good while yet! Cheers, Paul

      Delete
  4. The original top lock also had a cottage by the side of it but that was demolished to accommodate the M6 Toll Road. The position of the old top lock was just above the bridge that took you into Dunton Wharf which is now filled in and is used by a Flannery Plant Hire Business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nellie for the information, I'll definitely have a closer look next time I'm in Curdworth. I do like the old lock cottages so it's a shame this one was sacrificed. Cheers, Paul

      Delete