Saturday, December 30

Shock News: Rog enjoyed a walk!

Shock news indeed, for not only did Rog enjoy the walk but he actually acted as the walk guide! I refer to last Saturday's outing, a pre-Christmas treat that saw Rog and I exploring Hagley and Clent, getting a few photos (and pints) along the way.

As Rog outings go, this was right up there with the very best. For starters, there was Hagley Station - having passed through a couple of times the station looked fairly interesting and it didn't disappoint. It is quite basic, but there's a nice building on the Worcester platform, complete with canopy, and there's a lovely blue and white footbridge adding to the traditional flavour. The platform building was closed when we visited but I think it is still in use as a ticket office/ station entrance for part of the week. The Stourbridge platform is a more mundane affair with a boring blue shelter and not much else. We got a few photos, although I was a bit miffed that my batteries died on me when I wanted to get a shot of our Class 150 train. Even so, the station provided a reminder of just how much I enjoy exploring railway locations.

Moving on, there's the small matter of the walk itself. We beat an energetic path through the back end of Hagley and then down to Holy Cross for a couple of photos of The Bell & Cross. Then it was into Clent itself, passing the Parish Hall and then calling at the Church, with a licensed Balti house on the opposite corner. A winding lane led down to the Fountain, with roads leading off to the Clent Hills - we had originally intended to explore the hills but it had been quite foggy in the week so we thought better of it. Lower Clent was next for a pub interlude, then the shorter way back to Hagley to complete the loop. A worthy Worcestershire addition to the walks catalogue without a doubt.

Did I mention the pub? Well, no outing with Rog is complete until we've quaffed ourselves some cider, and the pubs proved well worth visiting. First off was the French Hen in Lower Clent, an intriguing local with a distinct Gallic air intermingled with a hint of Christmas decorations. As a bonus, we met Mark, an old pal of Rog's and (hopefully) a future star of the Rog Files, so we had an extra drink and I grappled with the many Saturday supplements provided by the Daily Telegraph! Two other notable additions to the pub hitlist were The Station Inn in Hagley - nice local where I discovered Wolves were losing at home to Norwich - and The Queensway in Pedmore Fields, where we saw Man Utd beat Villa 3-0 whilst I munched my way through a pack of Salt & Vinegar. Ah, memories...

Continuing the food theme, I must make mention of our sampling of the cuisine of the local chippy in Hagley, 'Our Plaice'. Cooked as we waited, both the fish and the chips were delicious, and healthy as well according to the WeightWatchers notices on the shop wall! And a quick word too for Carol's in Stourbridge, where we called in for a quick snack on the evening. That chip shop has featured in quite a few of my Stourbridge outings down the years...

And thats that, except for some final bus-related thoughts. I had a wonderfully successful session at Stourbridge getting some bus photos whilst waiting for Rog - my wants list comprised photos of the 250, 251, 657 and the new buses on the 311, and would you believe it, I got the lot! Yet something managed to top even that... After our visit to The Queensway, and having found out Wolves had nicked a late equaliser to draw against Norwich, we caught the 298 back into Stourbridge. It was a Diamond route, one of our least favourite operators, but the driver was an absolute gent, chatting to us on the way back and then posing for a photo at Stourbridge. Now thats what I call service!

I think I'll have to encourage Rog to do a bit more walking in future...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:33 am

    Well I enjoyed it too and the walk (yes you heard that correctly) I enjoyed the walk because I knew where we was going, and unlike your walks (Streetley - Just up the road!! - It was, but you took a detour around some housing estate) where I don't know where which turnoff or diversion we will go on next!!!!

    ReplyDelete