Saturday, November 6

Kidderminster... Again!

2021 has been a year for double dipped exploration where I've gone back to the same place twice in quick succession. Firstly I had twin doses of Derby and its rams, then Worcester's elephant parade required two bites of the photographic cherry, and now Kidderminster has earned itself an instant return hot on the heels of last week's Chip Foundation adventure...

- Severn Valley Sidings -
Friday 5th November 2021 and the reason for my rapid revisit is that Kidderminster is hosting its annual beer festival, hence I'm hoping any fireworks I encounter will be of the ale-related variety. As with Saturday just gone, the Severn Valley Railway station is on hand to provide an initial burst of picture-gathering. The Halloween accoutrements that were so enchanting six days ago have been removed and the heritage concourse is altogether quieter, meaning I effectively have the place to myself when lining up shots of the Wrangaton Signal Box, a vintage Camelford running board and newspaper headlines from the 1930s. 

- The Brinton Drinking Fountain -
Comberton Hill conveys me down into the town centre via subway underpasses that seem to be decorated with homelessness statistics. I mentioned the Brinton Drinking Fountain in my previous post and it merits a few extra pictures today, noting some amusing gargoyles and a landmark clock - the whole structure stands on Worcester Cross and dates from 1876. Swan-themed street art by the Boars Head also catches my eye along with a Votes for Women suffrage mural and the Walton & Hipkiss estate agents premises. 

- Sir Rowland Hill -
The principal business of the day awaits with Sir Rowland Hill's statue looking on approvingly as I approach the scaffold-clad Town Hall, a venue that is resuming hosting duties for the Kidderminster Beer and Cider Festival. I haven't attended any such events since the National Winter Ales extravaganza at Bingley Hall in February 2020, so there's a heightened frisson of anticipation when I hand over my £10 note for the all-important glass, tokens and programme combination. I soon put these spoils to good use in seeking out Woodcote 'Oatmeal Stout', a 4.7% brew that offers enticingly malty notes of chocolate and coffee. 

- The Essential Beer Festival Kit -
Picking a seat from which I can admire the hall's historic organ (as constructed by William Hill circa 1855), I peruse the programme to see what other darker treats might be on the menu. 'Priory Porter' from Leominster's Swan Brewery is a must due to descriptions of a 'velvety mouthfeel' (it doesn't disappoint) while Britt Brewery's 'Working Mon's Mild' is always reliably satisfying. My favourite tipple however has to be 'Vanilla Sky', a luxuriantly-flavoured strong stout produced by Green Duck in Stourbridge - very good indeed!

- The Sportsman -
I usually like to follow a festival experience with a tour of local hostelries and this trip will be no exception, albeit I don't want to overlap on any of the places the Chip Foundation frequented. My plan therefore is to try a couple of traditional Marston's boozers which might not hit the absolute ale heights but definitely count as proper pubs. Exhibit A is the Sportsman, tarted up in a fetching/incongruous shade of sky blue amidst the terraces of Wood Street; Banks's Amber and a cheese cob will keep me happy here. Another pint of Amber is then ready to be quaffed at Exhibit B, the Weary Traveller around the side of the General Hospital (Sutton Road to be precise). The regulars in both establishments ensure there is plenty of banter flying about, thankfully not too much of it is at my expense!

- When will I see you again Kidderminster? -
The A451 Stourport Road flanks the southern edges of Brinton Park in providing my route back into town before I apply the final gloss to this Kiddy double-header - the coup-de-grace comes courtesy of Weavers Ale House, a highly-regarded micropub which has unsurprisingly attracted several of my fellow CAMRA cohort. Fownes's Seven Crowns Pale Ale is not a brew I'd heard of until now and it certainly drinks very nicely, setting me up well for a shuffle to the station and my 15:27 train home. I must say it was great to be able to attend a beer festival again after over 18 months away and I hope there are many more yet to come - cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment