Sunday, November 14

A Rowley Village Rummage

Another of my solo Saturday Specials was filed on the 13th November, and this time I decided to concentrate more closely on Rowley Village after the August and September contributions had showcased Shell Corner (with a helping hand from Coombeswood). Here's what I got up to...

- Providence Chapel -
It's the greyest and dankest of November mornings as I make my way across to Rowley Regis via Smethwick, noting how the trains towards Birmingham seem particularly busy today with people intent on experiencing the Frankfurt Christmas Market or undertaking other shopping expeditions. Retail therapy is thankfully not on my agenda but local photography certainly is, hence I make my way along Habberley Road and Mincing Lane to find the Providence Chapel at Bell End - the building was erected in 1875 and nowadays incorporates a Christian Heritage Centre telling the story of Christianity in Britain.

- Rowley Village Memorial -
From one place of worship to another now as Park Avenue leads me up to St Giles's Parish Church, perched high on the crest where Rowley Village meets Hawes Lane. Preparations are underway for the forthcoming Remembrance Sunday activities so it feels highly appropriate that I should pause at the local war memorial for a few moments of solemn reflection. The church hall can be found just over the road with a scout hut and the Rowley & Blackheath Labour Club for close company, not to mention the MOT servicing pedigree of Hawes Garage.

- Britannia Park -
Heading back down the hill, my next key target is Britannia Park which is arguably the flagship area of public open space within the Rowley Regis district. Naturally there is a pronounced autumnal feel to proceedings with scattered fallen leaves adorning the sports pitches and outdoor gym equipment. The park can be accessed from both Rowley Village and Ross with a further gate onto Mackmillan Road - it's nice to see it again after a few years away. A little lad on his scooter is doing laps of the skate zone having a whale of a time. 

- Working Mon's Mild (and accompaniments) -
After my park detour I need to get down to beery business and it just so happens that there's a brewpub very close at hand. The Britannia used to be a standard Banks's house but these days is home to the Britt Brewery, purveyors of the excellent Working Mon's Mild I savoured in Kidderminster last week. A pint of said nectar is essential lubrication alongside a packet of scratchings and a read of the latest 'Ales & Tales' local CAMRA magazine. I can also confirm that the Britt Blonde is very much on form, 3.8% and crystal clear - top notch!

- The Old Bush Revived -
Pressing onwards, Siviters Lane and Ross combine for a glimpse of Blackheath's former Carnegie Library, now reused as the Bookworms Children's Day Care Centre. Powke Lane reminds me of a pub I haven't visited for nigh on ten years so it was high time the Old Bush Revived earned itself another look - my reward is a good glass of 'Gangly Ghoul', Greene King's nod to Halloween. The place has lost none of the cosiness I remembered from 2011, the home-cooked menu generating appetising wafts that set my tummy rumbling. 

- Something Malty at Fixed Wheel? -
How do you follow that? Well I guess the Waterfall is always a surefire bet, easily reached via a Terrace Street shortcut; I still can't reconcile myself to the shabby chic French brasserie look - I preferred it before the makeover - but the Golden Glow is good and that's the main thing. Bracing myself for the climb back into Blackheath, I make use of Beeches Road and New John Street to reach Long Lane Industrial Estate for a Fixed Wheel finale. 'Alright Bab' Mild is a fantastic way to finish, perched next to a pile of malt sacks and rumour has it I might have sneaked in a slurp of Blackheath Stout too - cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Blimey, lovely mixed bag there. Did you see the Christian Heritage exhibition yesterday ?

    What are Quarters on the scratchings ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin, no Christian Heritage open afternoon for me although they were getting things ready as I went past. The Black Country is almost as blessed for interesting non-conformist chapels as it is for fine breweries. As for the quarters, I think that's the butcher's measurements from when they get sold loose but I might be wrong! Cheers, Paul

      Delete
  2. Is there a direct train from Rowley Regis to Olton? If so, then this looks feasible!!
    Like the look of both of those and was it the Fixed Wheel tap house you went to at the finale?
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Beermat, Fixed Wheel's on-site bar at the brewery within the Long Lane industrial estate - very friendly and well worth a visit. There are direct trains from Olton to Rowley Regis as its a regular stop on anything heading to Stourbridge or Kidderminster, so you've got no excuse now! Cheers, Paul

      Delete