Sunday, June 14

Lockdown Log: FURNACE GRANGE

The weeks seem to tick by more slowly during lockdown, or perhaps that's just how it feels with one day melding imperceptibly into the next. Sunday morning has however rolled around once more so I dust off my walking boots and step forth into South Staffordshire...

- NHS Rainbow at Smestow School -
Commencing in Castlecroft, I'm pleased to see that both of the educational establishments on Windmill Crescent are showing their appreciation for the NHS. The primary school has attached laminated hearts and leaves to its railings whereas Smestow Secondary has adorned a window with a colourful rainbow. These are just a couple of the many uplifting NHS tributes I've spotted locally over the past few months, one of the most positive aspects of life under lockdown. 

- A Bouncy Bee -
Passing Castlecroft Medical Practice, I notice the Windmill Centre youth base where a children's play area is out of commission due to Covid-19 - I still get a snap of a bouncing bee spring from an appropriate distance. A carved owl keeps watch over a couple of benches as I in turn eye up the bus terminus at the top of Castlecroft Avenue; given my long-term interest in all things public transport, it's strange to think I haven't caught a bus or train for almost exactly three months now. 

- Pool Hall Fisheries -
My travel pass will have to remain in hibernation a while longer as this trip continues on foot, making use of the bridleway down to Mops Farm Bridge. The canal here is overlooked by Pool Hall, a large residence that gives its name to the nearby fisheries (notable for their carp stocks or so I'm told). The fisheries driveway emerges onto Furnace Grange Road near Trescott although I bear left towards Seisdon rather than tackling the notorious ford on this occasion.

- Don't Frighten the Horses! -
The lane narrows slightly as I approach Furnace Grange Farm - in theory there is a public footpath through the farmyard that I could use but a bridle track across a cabbage field tempts me instead. I have to be careful when entering a horse paddock but the resident steeds seem docile enough and ignore me completely. Ebstree Road awaits after I've negotiated another two latch gates, then I reach the junction with Trysull Holloway for a quick glance at Old Smithy Farm and its stable block.

- The Hollybush -
A short distance away up a gentle incline is the Hollybush pub, last photographed by me in February 2017. Despite the offer of Nepalese cuisine, it appears that the intervening years haven't been too kind and the building now looks sadly overgrown with concrete barricades protecting the car park. This could of course be a temporary situation exacerbated by the pandemic so fingers crossed the current closure doesn't prove terminal. 

- Furnace Grange Road -
A few yards back along Ebstree Road from the Hollybush, I locate the southern end of Furnace Grange Road as flanked by a rusty white fence. After the initial unchartered stretch up to the farm, it's simple enough for me to retrace my earlier footsteps past Pool Hall and on into Castlecroft just as the sun belatedly puts in an appearance. It may have been an overcast outing but the combination of country lanes and brassica-strewn bridleways made for a relaxing walk, just what you want on a Sunday morning - cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment