Sunday, June 28

Lockdown Log: PERTON

I cannot emphasise enough how important my little local explorations have been in helping me cope with the lockdown situation. The chance to get out of the house and take a few pictures has done me the power of good by offering a sense of normality during uncertain times, and I've relished the challenge of trying to put a new photographic spin on familiar places. The latest example from my doorstep repertoire involved Perton on Friday 26th June...


- Wightwick Windmill -
I shan't detain you with too much Castlecroft detail and instead pick up the story by mentioning one of Wightwick's historic former windmills. Damage caused by a gas explosion had threatened the future of this Windmill Lane mainstay but I'm pleased to see the building has successfully been repaired, hopefully ensuring its landmark status for generations to come. Down the hill I go to Bridgnorth Road from where Torvale Road takes me towards Tettenhall Wood.


- Woodcote Road -
My camera has already collected Covid-era pictures of School Road and Tettenhall Wood Institute, so by way of something different I seek out Foley Avenue which leads to a Midland Heart care home. An alleyway then offers a route past Christ Church Junior School where its lovely to hear the sound of laughter emanating from the playground again. The sun comes out just in time to present Woodcote Road at its best, some of the gardens here look absolutely immaculate (their lawns being watered by recent thunderstorms presumably helps).


- Penk Rise Open Space -
I can't fully remember whether I've covered Cornwall Road before but it has a series of short offshoots where the houses are arranged into sort of quadrangles. Emerging onto Woodhouse Road, I'd earmarked the Massalla Club as a prime photo target only to discover the car park has been commandeered for utilities roadworks - the restaurant building was previously the Kingswood pub (ex-Ansell's). Not to worry, I can investigate Regina Crescent and Kinfare Drive as a protracted means of getting to Penk Rise play area, an area of open space that has partially been left to grow wild as a natural habitat.


- Rock of Remembrance -
Crossing into South Staffordshire, I speculate that the Dippons Lane footpath might be a remnant of Perton's airfield heritage (the RAF had operations here during both World Wars but the site was abandoned in between). A lasting tribute to the area's military past is provided in the form of a memorial boulder that stands where the airbase's main runway used to be. The stone has become a focal point for local acts of remembrance and has latterly been joined by some Thankyou NHS painted pebbles. 

- Socially Distanced Shopping -
I've now reached the Anders Square precinct at the heart of Perton where I'm reminded of the surreal effect Covid-19 is having on our lives. The queue of shoppers waiting to get into Sainsbury's involves people patiently observing 1 metre distances as store staff carefully monitor the amount they allow inside. Thankfully I'm sorted as regards grocery provisions so I can concentrate on the nearby lake where the geese probably wonder what all the fuss is about. 


- Wrottesley Arms -
Plans are afoot at the Wrottesley Arms now that the Government has given the green light for pubs to reopen from the 4th July. A one-way system might need to be implemented along with table service and potential use of apps to minimise direct contact; as much as I miss pubs, I don't think I'll be rushing out for a pint any time soon, preferring to see how things pan out for a bit first. I get the necessary pictures, add in a shot or two of the library and then head home via Richmond Drive, Long Lake Avenue and The Holloway. A great stroll in near sweltering sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment