Sunday, May 24

Lockdown Log: WERGS

The gradual easing of Covid-19 lockdown restrictions means I can become more ambitious with my local walks, even if going anywhere on public transport is still out of the question for the time being. My most recent example of extended exercise put Wergs and Tettenhall to the socially-distanced test...

- Horticultural Hut -
Although this ongoing period of reduced horizons is undoubtedly frustrating, I can't deny I've enjoyed getting to see new aspects of familiar doorstep locations. Friday 22nd May 2020 is a case in point, commencing in Compton with a clamber up The Holloway before Ormes Lane has me bearing down on the Nuffield Hospital and Tettenhall College. Nursery Walk then presents some expertly-tended allotments complete with the Nissen hut-style base of the Tettenhall & District Horticultural Society (founded in 1915 to celebrate the cultivation of flowers, fruit and vegetables).

- Regis Road -
Limes Road appeals with traditional terraces and an MOT garage while Grange Road takes its name from The Grange, a former farmstead that became a desirable C19th townhouse. General street scene photography keeps me briefly occupied on Regis Road until Mancroft Road claims my attention with a corner shop. Further allotments await on Redhouse Road then the nearby Kings C of E School is missing some letters off its frontage sign - a job for the caretaker perhaps?

- Yew Tree Lane -
With a Wrekin Lane wiggle I emerge onto Yew Tree Lane and the edges of Wolverhampton suburbia, albeit I am only a few fields worth of separation from the sprawling Perton estate in South Staffordshire. Sticking within the West Midlands on this occasion, I proceed on past Westcroft Road to join the main A41 Wergs Road where there are signs for a local garden centre I remember visiting as a kid. There isn't much traffic about so I can see what's become of Wergs Garage, once a Kia dealership but now used partly as a solicitors office and partly as a funeral home.

- The Crown -
Another long-term Wergs landmark has to be the Crown pub as situated at the junction with Wergs Hall Road - Mr D9 has particularly painful memories of the beer prices here having been stung for an expensive round a few years ago! A revisit may be in order when the government gives the go ahead for hospitality venues to reopen, although I might have to be the one buying the drinks next time. Keepers Lane tries to tempt me towards Codsall with the promise of the Wergs Golf Club en route but I steadfastly keep to the main road, lured on by an intriguing piece of Wolverhampton history...

- A Fowler Feature -
'Woodthorne' was a large Victorian country house built by the politician and statesman Henry Hartley Fowler (1st Viscount Wolverhampton) who was the borough's Liberal MP between 1880 and 1908. The site subsequently became used for government offices (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, later DEFRA) before more recently being redeveloped for residential use by David Wilson Homes. As a tribute to the location's heritage, a Henry Hartley Fowler motif now stands next to the driveway entrance.

- Thank you from the Dog & Gun -
From Woodthorne I weave my way through a couple of cul-de-sacs to reach Wrottesley Road and thence Tettenhall Green. The Dog & Gun is closed during the Coronavirus pandemic but nonetheless declares its gratitude to the NHS, a sentiment I'm very happy to echo. After a quick glance at Tettenhall Library, I descend Old Hill and The Rock with Henwood Road finally ensuring the walk comes full circle back to Compton. As ever, it was nice to get a few miles - and pictures - under my belt so I'll keep chipping away as best I can. Until next time, stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment