Wednesday, May 6

Lockdown Log: LOWER PENN

Picking up again on my penchant for socially distanced Sunday morning strolls, here's a little circuit I completed on 3rd May 2020 that saw me taking a few photos around Lower Penn...

- A feminine face -
A steady start sees me joining the Smestow Valley Railway Walk down through Castlecroft, beyond which this footpath following the course of a disused branch line becomes known as the South Staffordshire Railway Walk. I've commented on the street art at Market Lane Bridge before but the current designs are especially eye-catching, featuring exotic ladies on one side and a cast of canines on the other.

- Penn Halt -
Penn Halt platform was only operational for seven years or so (1925 to 1932) and never generated much patronage, probably on account of having to rely on nearby small settlements for any passenger uptake. The location of the halt is marked by a plank sign and a couple of picnic tables although I can't see much in terms of platform footing remains. An earthen slope leads up to Greyhound Lane where I bear left for Lower Penn, Dimmingsdale being the alternative had I decided to turn right instead. 

- Greyhound Lane -
Hedgerows guide me into the centre of Lower Penn, marked by the Greyhound pub with the Victory Hall next door - both venues are currently closed in accordance with coronavirus guidelines. The Greyhound therefore keeps silent watch over the crossroads where Market Lane, Dene Road and Springhill Lane all intersect, and there's a traditional fingerpost sign pointing variously towards Claverley, Wombourne, Wightwick or Sedgley. 

- St Anne's Church -
Springhill Lane reveals more of Lower Penn's gentle character - a few barns, a hint of an old forge cottage and then St Anne's Church (originally founded in July 1888). Sunday services here would ordinarily include family worship at 11:45am with St Anne's operating as the sister church to St Bartholomew's in Upper Penn. Just up the road is what effectively amounts to the village green, a landscaped bench area at the junction with Dirtyfoot Lane. 

- View from Dirtyfoot Lane -
Something about the name 'Dirtyfoot Lane' has me all intrigued so I simply must investigate. My feet admittedly remain remarkably clean as I wander down past farms to join a public footpath over the fields, the trail in places being marked out between electric fences. I emerge onto Drive Fields but carry straight over along another path, this one flanking a little brook around the back of Highfields School. Strathfield Walk confirms I've returned to Wolverhampton territory amidst the Merry Hill estates and from there it's but a short stroll home. A useful bit of exercise that!

- A message of hope -
I'll leave the final word on this occasion to an optimistic outlook from the Greyhound pub... "Better days are ahead" - I certainly hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment