Saturday, July 23

Featherstone and Shareshill

Friday 22nd July: Exploration for me doesn't always have to be about blazing a trail across the West Midlands. Sometimes it's good to take things at a gentler pace, a case well proven by today's relaxing incursion into South Staffordshire. My aim was to call in on two villages (Featherstone and Shareshill) that I've never photographed before despite the fact they're only a few miles from where I live...

Moseley Old Hall: But first a slice of history, making my way up through Northwood Park and Northycote for my first ever look at Moseley Old Hall, a National Trust Property with Civil War links to Charles II. Given that the hall is virtually on my doorstep I'm rather ashamed that I'd never been there before, but at least I put that right this morning, weaving my way along the narrow lanes wondering what to expect. I first catch sight of the perimeter low brick wall and the cottage gardens before enjoying views of the historic home itself - it's a building with considerable charm to accompany its famed royal connections, and at some point I could well be tempted to have a proper look around when the house is open to visitors.

- Moseley Old Hall -

Featherstone: The tranquility of Moseley gives way to the murmur of the M54 motorway as I continue through to Featherstone. I've passed through many times on family drives or number 70 bus rides to Cannock so it was high time I gave the place some camera treatment. The village has expanded over the years to house commuters and its main shopping facilities are concentrated on The Avenue with the 'Select & Save' containing the local post office. Other notable features include Whitgreave Primary School (maintaining the name of the family who formerly owned Moseley Old Hall) and the Red, White and Blue pub. Featherstone was an interesting place to visit but didn't entirely capture my imagination - there was a lot of Cannock Road traffic and many of the buildings were quite modern.

- Shareshill Shop & Post Office -

Shareshill: A short walk up the main A460 brings me to Shareshill where there is more of the feel of a typical country village. Top photo targets here include the Elms pub and the Shareshill Post Office and Stores; both pub and shop have survived being threatened with closure quite recently, and the shop is now run by the local community and prides itself on personal service - I can certainly vouch for that having enjoyed a friendly conversation with the chap behind the counter. Mention must also go to the Church of St Mary and St Luke, a worthy landmark with a captivating old belltower (said to date from the 13th century) that is adjoined by a Georgian nave and a 21st century hall annexe. It doesn't look as cobbled together as it sounds!

The sense of escape was completed with a leisurely walk home, crossing public footpaths with ice cream in hand and then swatting flies along more narrow country lanes as I wove my way back through Featherstone and Brinsford. As a final treat I dropped in at Northycote Farm to see some of the farm animals - the lambs and ducks were cute, but I think the pigs stole the show for sheer laziness.

Now that's what I call having a gentle unwind!

No comments:

Post a Comment