Monday, March 1

Lockdown Log: PENN

Now that the Prime Minster has announced his roadmap for the lifting of Covid restrictions, I'm hoping that my 'Lockdown Log' series of posts can soon be dispensed with in favour of wider exploration. The proposals set out a gradual easing in stages from March through to June, after which we may return to something approaching normality (whatever that is!), but for now I'm sticking with the doorstep theme by scooping up another slice of suburbia...

- Beautiful Bantock -
I've taken several bites out of Wolverhampton's photographic platter during the lockdown period and this latest wedge is primed for consumption on Friday 26th February. Cloudless skies mean Bantock Park is looking delightful as early spring has almost sprung, even though the daffodils haven't quite reached full flower just yet. The residential estates of Bradmore have a similarly sunkissed appeal so I account for crocuses on Skidmore Avenue before investigating Walford Avenue, a quiet thoroughfare that is thankfully devoid of any EastEnders-style slanging matches!

- Penn Fields Shops -
Nipping across Jeffcock Road, I pick out some familiar Penn Fields targets in the form of the Acropolis Fish Bar (signage intact but the shop fittings have been totally stripped out) and the Bruford Arms (a backstreet boozer I've only ever been in once, a 'Pintathlon' call with Mr D9 in 2012). Burleigh Road meets Bamford Road at the Wolves Mini Market corner shop albeit the main local stores are arranged on the Lea Road/Birches Barn/Jeffcock Road roundabout; these include a pharmacy, Jimmy Trim's barbers, Net's Nosh cafe and Pennfields Plaice. 

- Westbourne Road -
After taking a repeat Poplar Road look at Wolverhampton's Carmelite Monastery (established in 1922), I cross the A449 Penn Road into Goldthorn Hill near the Anville Court Nursing Home. Goldthorn Avenue is a street I seldom get to see, purple bins out in force awaiting refuse collectors who are busily engaged on Birchwood Road for the moment. The Battle of Britain used to be the local pub here but is becoming an ever-distant memory, replaced by shard-like houses near Sandringham Road that are probably getting on for ten years old. Westbourne Road then conjures up a pleasant suburban scene stretching down towards the Mount Tavern.

- Wakeley Hill Stores -
I'm closing in on the heart of Penn now, weaving along Mount Road for glimpses of mulchy allotments or the local cricket pitch (barriered off until fixtures resume). Manor Road teases me with the Penn Bowling & Social Club where I don't think I've ever noticed the alleyway beside the main green before. This in turn emerges onto Swan Bank so I make a loop of it, adding in Butts Road and Wakeley Hill for good measure - the latter has a small shopping parade comprising Salon 27 hairdressers, a Daily Telegraph-branded newsagents and the Wakeley Hill Stores for general convenience provisions. 

- St Bartholomew's Church -
Brenton Road and Church Hill combine to assist me in my pursuit of St Bartholomew's, undeniably the definitive landmark in Penn's historic village centre. The present day church has elements dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries although it is said that the site was being used for worship prior to the Norman Conquest, and there are the remains of two ancient crosses in the churchyard. The church's associated primary school and nursery can be found on nearby Sedgley Road while the Old Stags Head is another notable feature. 

- Reedham Gardens -
Vicarage Road conveys me down past Penn Cemetery to the Hollybush junction from whence I can gently make my way home via Warstones. Just when I think I've covered every inch of west Wolverhampton, I stumble across uncharted territory in the form of Oakley Grove and Reedham Gardens which are connected together by a secretive footpath. I nearly lose my bearings amidst some rather offputting garages but safely exit onto Pinfold Lane; Warstones Drive and Finchfield Lane are the remaining obstacles and then another tour of lockdown duty can be satisfactorily signed off as complete - cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment