Saturday, February 13

The Trysull Trek 2021

It's one of those quirks of my exploration history that Trysull usually seems to crop up as a February destination, with both 2017 and 2019 having seen me staging wintertime visits to that particular corner of South Staffordshire. Whether by fluke or design, 2021 has contrived to maintain that pattern thanks to this example of lockdown exercise...

- A Railway Walk Starter -
Friday 12th February is the designated date and the walk will inevitably have an air of familiarity, although it should still be interesting to see what might have changed since I last set foot in the Trysull area. Starting out on the South Staffordshire Railway Walk from Castlecroft, I aim towards Penn Halt and note that any footpath mud is frozen solid - at least my boots won't get caked in dirt today! The odd icy patch aside, these are good walking conditions and the weather is bitter but sunny. 

- Ebstree Lock -
Greyhound Lane is my prompt to leave the former railway line as I briefly overlap on January's Dimmingsdale wander. I can confirm that the local garden centre has reopened as Dimmingsdale Bridge brings me once more onto the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal; this time around I bear south, homing in on Ebstree Lock complete with its gushing overflow weir. I tentatively tiptoe over a narrow footplate in order to get snaps of the wooden lock sign and balance beam ends.

- Awbridge Farm -
The next location on from Ebstree is my old friend Awbridge where I've taken countless photos since first visiting in March 2005. 2021's archive additions here focus on Lock 26 and the adjacent cottage before I take Union Lane past Awbridge Farm - I'm spared the cow welcoming committee on this occasion and snaffle a cheeky shot of the farm's milk churn entrance marker. A stile-based shortcut over some pasture in turn connects me to Bell Road for Trysull village. 

- The Plough has perished! -
Sadly the Bell - pub centrepiece of Trysull trips past - is unable to offer any liquid refreshment due to the lockdown situation but I do hope it won't be too long until I can sample Holden's hospitality again. The Bell should reopen in time but the situation is altogether more terminal for the Plough on School Road; Tatton Hall Homes have converted the property for residential use and are now in the process of constructing further houses on the surrounding land. 

- Wombourne Wildlife? -
With a nod to All Saints Church and the quaint thatched cottage on the corner of The Holloway, I retrace my steps to Awbridge and intend to continue through to Orton. Flash Lane however is impassable below the railway bridge - it is liable to flood here anyway but the ice makes things particularly precarious - so I rejoin the Railway Walk for my approach into Wombourne, noting that the cafe in the former station building is doing a decent takeaway-only trade during lockdown. Ounsdale Road Bridge then presents some bird-related artistry, depicting a kingfisher if I'm not mistaken.

- Dale Medical Practice -
Wombourne Leisure Centre is bookended by educational establishments (Westfield Primary to one side, Wombourne High to the other) as I top up my pub pictures care of the Mount Pleasant. An entry for the bygone boozers file awaits on Planks Lane, the Dale having been turned into a medical practice several years ago; the pharmacy next door is part of a parade of stores that also includes Gordon Beddow's fishing tackle shop. With that my trek has terminated and I get my lift home as planned, so presumably Trysull will be in line for a revisit come February 2023???

No comments:

Post a Comment