Sunday, November 17

Lost Pubs from the WME Archives - Part Seven

I'm rather enjoying these monthly mooches through my photo archive, even if there's a bittersweet edge to digging out pictures of pubs that have passed into history. Here are four November nuggets for your delectation...


- The Black Horse -
I was only in Oakengates just last week but one boozer I had absolutely no chance of frequenting was the Black Horse, long since gone I'm afraid. It stood on Market Street between the Leek United Building Society and Giles Opticians; this September 2010 shot shows it in a bad way having suffered extensive fire damage in 2007, the year after it ceased trading. Although the building has since been partially repaired, it still remains looking for a new lease of life.

- The Dry Dock -
It's not just the run of the mill watering holes that can fall by the wayside, sometimes some very well-known establishments expire too. One such example would be the Dry Dock at Windmill End, handily located by a prominent junction on the Dudley No. 2 Canal and close to Netherton Tunnel. This was for some years a Mad O'Rourke's outlet notable for having a narrowboat bow for a bar. I only had the pleasure of one visit before it got turned into flats although Peter Allen called in on a few occasions as evidenced here


- The Hailstone -
The Springfield area of Rowley Regis is where we find the Hailstone, a former Banks's number situated on the junction of Dudley Road and Springfield Close (opposite the local Social Club). It had shut down by the time of this March 2009 photo and latterly became a Bangladeshi restaurant that retains the old pub name. 


- The Joker -
Joaquin Phoenix is conspicuously absent from this picture of the Joker, which relates not to the recent film but rather a flat-roofed estate example that used to serve the residents of Hamstead. Seen here in April 2009 promoting Sky Sports coverage and a car wash facility, it now provides a different kind of community amenity by operating as a Tesco Express store.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug. When did you take that picture? I don't recall seeing the pub in that livery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March 2009 for the Dry Dock picture Pete although I think I might have a slightly earlier one somewhere too. From memory we did the Wheatsheaf across the road too but I've never done the Red Lion, something I'll have put right sometime. Cheers, Paul

      Delete
  2. Britain Beermat1:22 pm

    The Joker looks tremendous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beermat, the Joker eluded me for a full pub visit so I sadly can't comment on the charms or otherwise that might have awaited inside! Even if it had been a total dive I'd probably still prefer it to a Tesco store but I guess that's progress for you. Cheers, Paul

      Delete