Sunday, May 5

More Lost Pubs from the WME Archives

It's a reasonably quiet Bank Holiday weekend here at the WME residence so I thought I'd take another random dive into my photographic archive and remember some more pubs that are no longer with us...


- New Inn -
I'll start this second batch off with something from Birmingham, or Balsall Heath to be specific. The Moseley Road corridor is home to a number of fine landmarks, most notably the Grade II* listed Library and Public Baths, while the New Inn also has a rather distinctive reddish appearance. Standing on the junction with Edward Road, it was boarded up at the time of this photograph and latterly became part business centre part grill restaurant.

- The Oakfield Tavern -
Amblecote is an area widely known for the quality of its boozers with the likes of the Starving Rascal, the Swan and the Robin Hood on hand to tempt discerning drinkers. Sadly the Oakfield Tavern can't feature on that list because it has long since gone; there's a suggestion of fire damage in this picture I took during a February 2008 wander, and three year laters Rog and I confirmed that the site had been reduced to a pile of rubble.

- Royal Oak -
A suburban pub serving the Blakenall Heath and Harden districts of Walsall, the Royal Oak could be found on the corner of Walker Road and Well Lane. Despite a Brewers Tudor beamed appearance suggesting 1920s or 1930s construction, this one never particularly appealed to me due to it having a certain hardcore notoriety. It has since been converted into a convenience store and chip shop.

- The Woodcock -
Finally here's a pub that I have actually been in, the Woodcock having entered Hub Marketing legend as a place I always said I wouldn't touch with a bargepole yet ended up rather liking. Mr D9 and I called by in May 2012 to discover beers from the Acorn Brewery (Barnsley Bitter, Oakwell Dark Mild) at very reasonable prices. Situated on Hillwood Road near Bartley Green Reservoir, it was turned into a children's nursery centre. 

For me pubs are often one of the defining features of a local community so there is an element of sadness whenever one closes, although realistically changes in drinking habits mean they simply can't all survive. Three of the four buildings above have found new uses so it's only the Oakfield that has been completely consigned to history. I've got my eye on some further archive extractions to bring you in due course so watch out for a third posting in the not too distant future - cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment