Monday, November 5

Getting to Grips with Greensforge

Saturday 3rd November is a murky grey day in the West Midlands, not that the overcast conditions deter me from doing some exploring. My target is a quiet stretch of the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal on the edges of Kingswinford where I'm enticed by a couple of pubs I hadn't visited before...

- 15 at Wall Heath (Blaze Park) -
The trip gets underway with a ride on the 15, a new number for a familiar route (the 255 having been reassigned under the latest Dudley Network Review). A steady journey through Wombourne and Swindon brings me to Wall Heath in readiness for pictures of the Church of the Ascension. The Prince Albert and the Horse & Jockey receive their customary shots before I venture along Enville Road, passing the local Community Centre to reach Blaze Park turning circle. Short workings of the 15 terminate here giving Wall Heath a fifteen minute frequency to the Merry Hill Centre.

- Here comes Hinksford -
That's enough of the West Midlands for this trip as I'm now set for South Staffordshire. Mile Flat is the direct route to Greensforge but I take Swindon Road instead, nipping through Hinksford for a look at the waterworks (a redbrick landmark which has been operational since 1900) and a residential mobile home park. I connect onto the Staffs & Worcs at Hinksford Bridge - No. 37 or so the nameplate says - and gently meander my way to Greensforge passing some long-term moorings. 

- Greensforge Lock -
Even though its a dank and gloomy morning, the canal still has an enchanting quality thanks to the chug of the narrowboats and the musty smells of autumn. Greensforge Lock feels like it could be in the middle of nowhere, nestled between the Navigation pub and a Canal & River Trust maintenance wharf. I attempt various angles of the lock gates and chamber, noting the adjacent keeper's cottage and some benches fashioned out of disused balance beams.

- Ashwood Marina -
I've still got a while before the pub opens so I decide to investigate Ashwood Marina, situated off Ashwood Lower Lane near the plant nurseries. I always enjoy a bit of gongoozling so it's fun to linger on the bridge looking down on the boats, spotting some heavy duty winches and lifting gear. The marina occupies a half mile long stub off the Staffs & Worcs with sections named after different canal engineers (Brindley, Telford, Rennie and Smeaton); it also has its own social club with regular entertainment bookings.

- Greensforge Bridge -
Time for a pint whereby the Navigation is now open and proves very welcoming to the thirsty walker. From a choice of 'Locales' I opt for the Kinver Edge, a satisfying Best Bitter that slips down a treat as the bar gradually fills up with regulars (mainly retired folk here for the home-cooked food). My chosen corner features a curving little fireplace and some leafy wallpaper as I settle back and relax. Edge thus imbibed, I rejoin the canal with some further photos of Greensforge Bridge - you can just see the roof of the pub to the right of shot. 

- The Hinksford Arms -
My second pub and final pub of the day awaits back in Hinksford, with the Hinksford Arms handily positioned just across from the pumping station. Formerly known as the Old Bush, this has the feel of a modern establishment and has appeared in recent editions of the Good Beer Guide. The Golden Glow lives up to such a billing, quality quaffing matched with a crusty cheese and onion cob. Several screens show Sky Sports action although I'm more interested in the enlarged historic Ordnance Survey print adorning one wall - I do like old maps! Draining my glass, I scamper to catch the next 15 along and that's the end of that - a nice way to pass a couple of hours. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:08 pm

    Loving these boozers! There seems to be an inexhaustible array by you...Kinver is a good brewery �� britain Beermat

    ReplyDelete