Wednesday, May 9

WME Walks - Trysull and Wombourne

What is this rare beast I see before me? A Bank Holiday weekend with swathes of sunshine, wonders will never cease! When the weather gods present such a gift it is only right and proper to make the most of it, hence a circular stroll soaking up that Staffordshire sunshine...

Sunday 6th May 2018 and I've plotted a route involving waterway and train track, starting out with the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal from Compton. The locks at Wightwick Mill and Wightwick have become familiar over the course of several Wolverhampton wanderings but once I'm beyond Castlecroft Bridge the towpath is less travelled. I'm not the only one enjoying this glorious morning though; the local anglers are out in force, each with their own perch and intently watching for signs of a catch. 


- Castlecroft Bridge -

Mops Farm Bridge is somewhat in shadow before I meander my way through Dimmingsdale, the bridge here having been thankfully repaired after last year's traffic collision. Dimmingsdale and Ebstree locks are both peaceful places to watch narrowboats go about their business, gongoozling proving as relaxing as ever with the occasional butterfly for added spectacle. I leave the canal at Awbridge only to meet some nervous cows on Union Lane; a brief stand-off ensues until they trot on by, leaving the way clear for me to proceed into Trysull.


- Ebstree Lock -

Bell Road leads me naturally enough to the Bell pub, a Holden's tied house I've mentioned before yet it always merits a revisit. A patio bench is the perfect place to ponder life, looking out at the village church and some pretty thatched cottages - when the weather's this good Trysull is the equal of anywhere else in the entire country. Admittedly the scratchings and ale add to the appeal, my respective pints of XB and Sarah Hughes Sedgley Surprise frothily overflowing when poured so I try not to leave a trail of drips between the bar and the garden. Beer from the Black Country is hard to beat!


- A hint of Holden's -

As is my Trysull custom, a few village photos are mustered with a focus on All Saints Church and its associated primary school. Unfortunately the Plough Inn on School Road is still closed (hopefully not for good) so my next pub stop will be in Wombourne; I could rejoin the canal to get there but instead favour a road-based ramble heading down Woodford Lane. Passing stables and a turning for a kennels, I cross over the Smestow Brook and reach Clapgate Farm - it's a nice walk sure enough, the only fly in the ointment being news Wolves are losing at relegated Sunderland (but the Championship title is in the bag so it doesn't really matter).


- Woodford Lane -

Clapgate Road and Giggetty Lane combine as my approach to the Waggon & Horses, a Marston's roadhouse rotisserie beside Wombourne Bridge on the Staffs & Worcs (both the bridge and the pub are locally known as the Brickbridge). Having worked up a thirst I pause here for a pint of Ringwood Boondoggle, trying to find a spare seat among the scores of family diners. It's a popular enough place but the food emphasis meant I was only ever going to stay for one, my patience with restless children and indecisive pensioners deliberating which dinner to have only stretches so far.


- The Waggon & Horses -

The homeward leg of my plan involves a sizeable stretch of the South Staffordshire Railway Walk, a leisure footpath that follows the course of the lost Wombourne Branch line - this once connected Wolverhampton with Kingswinford (and thence Stourbridge) via Tettenhall, Wombourne and Pensnett. Common Road is my access point and I head north, passing over the Wom Brook and then below Planks Lane and Ounsdale Road with hints of wildlife graffiti.


- Wombourne Wildlife? -

Although I've been before, I am looking forward to seeing Wombourne Station again. The building only actually operated as a railway station for seven short years (1925 to 1932) before the passenger service was withdrawn, and has therefore seen longer service in its current tearoom incarnation than for its original function. The Stourbridge-bound platform has been preserved with railings and awning very similar to the old station at Tettenhall further along the line; I gather a few photos and treat myself to an ice cream, a necessary indulgence on what is becoming a very warm afternoon.


- Wombourne Station -

From Wombourne to Castlecroft is probably a good three miles or more and there are views towards Orton to consider as I cross above Flash Lane. Next up is Greyhound Lane with the site of Penn Halt close at hand; the line was single-tracked here so the halt had a solitary platform which was little used. Still in the vicinity of Lower Penn, the bridges at Market Lane and Langley Road feature in quick succession to leave me with the final section to Castlecroft and walk's end. I would estimate I covered getting on for eight miles all told and enjoyed every second (Wolves result notwithstanding), if only all Bank Holiday weekends could be this sunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment