Saturday, September 10

Star Trekking to Tamworth Beer Festival

For the 23rd staging of the Tamworth Beer Festival, organisers have adopted a Star Trek theme to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the cult television series' first ever airing. Friday 9th September therefore saw me taking some fledgling steps aboard the USS Crudgington 6X...

- Dolphin Inn, Glascote -
My journey across to Tamworth involves an altogether more conventional mode of transport as the 10:03 Glasgow train from New Street gets the day moving. Upon arrival in Staffordshire I refrain from immediately entering deep space in favour of some local exploration, boldly setting course for Glascote while seeking out signs of photographic life. The Dolphin Inn is reward for my bravery while other finds include a cemetery, a fish bar and the William McGregor Primary School.

- Glascote Top Lock -
You never quite know what you might find when venturing into alien territory and in this case the Coventry Canal supplies the surprise of the morning. I join the towpath at Bridge 73 next to the local Co-op (a building that was previously the Anchor pub) for a short stroll that reveals a couple of locks and a basin marina. Top Lock and Bottom Lock both boast attractive accompanying cottages that demand documentation in my lieutenant's logbook.

- Matchday Entrance -
Kettlebrook Road is next for navigation in marking my approach to the Lamb Ground with its rustic red and white corrugated appearance. Taking its name from a lost landmark pub that once stood where the car park entrance can now be found, the ground is the footballing home of Tamworth FC (nicknamed The Lambs) who currently play in the Vanarama Conference North division. I eagerly grab a turnstile shot or two as evidence of visiting another notable non-league location.

- Kettlebrook WMC -
The wider Kettlebrook area offers further interest to those of an intrepid disposition, so before long my curiosity uncovers St Andrew's Chapel, a working men's club (complete with old M&B sign) and a British Telecom depot, not to mention a corner shop and some welding workshop units. A riverside footpath with colourful subway murals then conveys me towards Tamworth Castle and its surrounding parkland. The fortress flag flutters in the breeze as I continue through by Lady Bridge where the stone arches span the confluence of the rivers Anker and Tame.

- Raisin The Bar -
I must not delay my festival attendance one moment longer so I swiftly teleport to the Masonic Rooms on Lichfield Street, the event having relocated here while usual host venue the Assembly Rooms is out of commission due to renovation works. Collecting my USS Crudgington glass and souvenir programme (the cover of which features porcine versions of Spock and Uhura), I survey the stillages in the main room and prepare to spend some tokens. My opening tempter is Church End's Raisin the Bar, a golden rum and raisin brew that launches me into ale orbit, which I follow up with Sperrin's Lovin' the Muffin with its promise of blueberry and vanilla.
 
- Market Vaults -
One ale I'm particularly keen to try is Sperrin's Beam Me Up Hoppy, not just because it cheekily encapsulates the Star Trek theme but also because the beer serves as a tribute to brewer Craig Sperrin who sadly passed away in August. I then finish with Anarchy's Sublime Chaos, a powerful breakfast stout that would no doubt have a certain Nickolenko in raptures should it ever pass his lips, and for once at Tamworth I've avoided any carrot-crunching episodes! My intergalactic interlude may be drawing to an end but one last landing point is required before my homeward voyage can commence. I thereby seek out the Market Vaults, a Joules establishment that just so happens to be the local CAMRA Pub of the Year and where the Titanic Plum Porter was out of this world! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment