Thursday, August 18

Mission Log: Erdington

The resurrected Monday Mission series rolls around onto its 18th episode, and with barely a cloud in the sky there's a sweltering stroll in prospect as I link Stockland Green, Erdington and Kingstanding...


- 323219 at Gravelly Hill -

 Monday 15th August 2016 and its go go go from Gravelly Hill, my chosen station starting point on the Cross City line. I've only ever taken photos here once or twice before so it's useful to be back - the main booking hall is on the Birmingham side stretching up above the platform with zigzag ramps for mobility access. The customary Class 323 electric multiple units are in attendance for some opening camera action, then I seek out Slade Road as my walk commences.


- Village Green -

Stockland Green has featured periodically over the years with the various ups and downs of the Stockland pub being a running thread through my archive. Having spent time as a Chinese restaurant then seemingly closing down completely, the pub has sprung back to life under the Flaming Grill banner and is now calling itself the Village Green. The adjacent Plaza bingo has seen little change by comparison, still sporting its Gala logos much as it did when I first saw it. John Banks Menswear has been a Slade Road fixture for several decades while the local post office, primary care centre and Highcroft health complex also add a sprinkling of photo interest.


- Erdington Abbey -

Now for Erdington, passing a covered reservoir site to reach Six Ways junction (a notable bottleneck on the Outer Circle bus route) followed by the High Street. It always seems busy here and today is no exception - plenty of traffic, plenty of shoppers and plenty of sunshine! St Barnabas Church happily displays its full glory again having suffered a devastating fire in 2007; a new extension combining glass and steel is visually impressive, bringing cutting edge design to the historic church structure. Other prominent Erdington features include the Wilton Market, the local library (on Orphanage Road) and the leisure centre although it's Erdington Abbey that most intrigues me, a Gothic-styled building that formerly served as the base for Benedictine monks.


- 65 at Short Heath -

Sneaking stealthily along Station Road, I renew my photographic acquaintance with both the Red Lion and the Royal Oak before branching off along Short Heath Road. A monkey puzzle tree on the corner of Court Lane catches my eye, as does the entrance to Bleak Hill Park. Short Heath itself is one of those places I've somehow avoided until now, usually passing through on the 65 bus without stopping. I correct this omission by investigating the local shops at the junction with Streetly Road with Kimbellino's Cafe, Pete's News and the Atlantic Fish Bar among their contingent.


- Witton Lakes -

Heading towards Perry Common, I note St Margaret Mary Catholic Church with its saintly shrine then get distracted by the open spaces flanking Witton Lakes. Originally constructed to supply drinking water for Birmingham's burgeoning industrial population, the lakes now fulfill a leisure role and provide me with some peaceful pictures as I take the path to Gipsy Lane. Cemetery walls accompany me to College Road, then I say hello to Perry Common Library and the neighbouring fire station.


- Hawthorn Shopping Centre -

Warren Farm was a calling point during one of my early missions back in November 2014, although today I approach from a different direction. Hawthorn Road is my main focus here and boasts a lengthy sequence of local shops running almost continuously through to Kingstanding Road. Charlton Road Gospel Hall is a new find then Burford Road teases me with playing fields as I plot my way through to the Golden Hind, gathering an extra shot or two to supplement those I took with D9 earlier this year. 


- Pub in Peril -

Another pub picture is what I have in mind by way of a finale, although the Hare & Hounds (Pudding & Pint) is a forlorn fire-ravaged sight with charred roof timbers sticking out like a blackened skeleton. I understand the building was already derelict before May's flames surely rendered the situation irretrievable and it can only be a matter of time before demolition is its ultimate fate. On that sombre note I catch the 934 through to Walsall and prepare to do some proper work for the rest of the afternoon. Mission once more accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment