Thursday, January 14

Widney Wednesday

Wednesday 13th January 2016 sees me summoned to Solihull where I indulge in a solo stroll from Widney Manor to Olton. Here comes the tale of the trip...

- D9 on route reconnaissance -
The day begins with a chance meeting on the bus when none other than Mr D9 just so happens to be aboard my morning 32 into Wolverhampton. It seems the bald one is out on official business recording route performance but he does have time for a quick pose at the bus station while clutching his timing sheets.

- 172 343 at Widney Manor -
Bidding the bald spot farewell, I proceed to Smethwick Galton Bridge where the Stratford-upon-Avon train I require is soon on hand. One speedy journey later and I alight at Widney Manor, a place that - as one of my lesser-visited West Midlands railway locations - could do with a bit of a photographic top-up. Historically the station did boast some inviting GWR architecture but the current incarnation isn't especially exciting or characterful, essentially comprising two platforms, a modern footbridge and a fairly boring ticket office.

- Shelly Farm Shopping Centre -
A bus turning circle (served by the number 5 route) is positioned just outside the station as I join Widney Lane for a wander towards Monkspath. The Fieldhouse is a familiar Ember Inns pub that I once visited with Nick then Shelly Drive allows me a closer look at the Shelly Farm estate. The local shopping precinct contains a Co-op store, a fish bar and a pharmacy while nearby amenities include a primary school and a community centre. The most impressive feature however is the Farm pub as housed in an historic grade II listed farmstead.

- Hillfield Park -
Emerging onto Monkspath Hall Road I plot my way back to Widney Lane via Hillfield Park, a popular area of open space that has received Green Flag accreditation. It's rather nice here enjoying a moment or two of tranquility by looking out over the lake as some geese swim by. Getting back to explorational business, I note the Blossomfield and Solihull Municipal clubs in quick succession as I shuffle towards Shirley.

- Sizzling at Sharmans Cross -
Longmore Road leads me past the Woodman's Rest pub (another Ember Inns establishment that Nick and I have sampled) before Yoxall Road stretches up to Sharmans Cross where there are shops and a Sizzling chain pub to contend with. I seem to remember coming through here on the 30 and possibly the 49 during bus rides past but being on foot allows me to dig a little deeper, discovering playing fields and the sinister-sounding Cut Throat Coppice.

- Robin Hood Cemetery Chapel -
Escaping from the coppice with my throat thankfully very much intact, I do a circuit via Woodlea Drive and Ralph Road to reach Palmers Rough whereupon my walking boots take a splattering in crossing swampy football pitches. Olton Road brings me to the main entrance gates of Robin Hood Cemetery and Crematorium with the sight of the chapel prompting a few moments of solemn reflection.

- Olton Friary -
A sporting selection comprising Moseley Cricket Club and Old Edwardians Rugby Club sends me happily onwards to Olton with St Bernard's Road being home to the fascinating Olton Friary (complete with the Catholic Church of the Holy Ghost & Mary Immaculate). St Bernard's Grange can be found near the corner with Grange Road as a Dovehouse detour has me briefly on the trail of lunchtime supplies.

- Olton Station Lamp -
Snack sorted I return to St Bernard's Road hoping to catch a glimpse or two of Olton Reservoir. Mereside Way gets me closest but there isn't any public access to the waterside, meaning the best view is probably from the train. Talking of which, Olton Station now beckons along with a final flurry of pictures showcasing St Margaret's Church, Broughton's fireplace showrooms and the local library. The station itself retains some nice little details such as entrance lamps and a tiled windmill mural, while the prospect of a passing 37 bus photo adds to the fun. With that my wanderings are done for the day and the 14:40 train home provides the closing note to an excellent Wednesday workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment