Wednesday, February 4

Palfrey, Pleck and Wood Green

The next in my series of Monday Missions was a 2nd February outing encompassing areas of Walsall and Wednesbury, trying to keep my camera from seizing up in the icy temperatures...

- Palfrey Park -
10:45 a.m. or thereabouts and the photographs are underway with a quick shot of the Fullbrook public house. A short walk up the Broadway brings me to Palfrey Park, a place I've captured on camera a few times over the years although the bandstand, horse sculpture and ranger's shed are always worth another look. There are playground sounds from the local primary school as I make my way to Milton Street, updating my archive with more pictures of Station Street working mens club and the Charles Napier.

- Bescot Morrisons -
Wandering down to Wallows Lane, I pause at the Morrisons supermarket which sits on the site of Walsall FC's historic Fellows Park home. The ground closed in 1990 when the club relocated to Bescot Stadium, and later this year Walsall will make their first ever visit to Wembley when they contest the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final against Bristol City. I hope they enjoy the day after 127 years of waiting!

- Hough Road -
There are roadworks at the junction of Bescot Road and Montfort Road before Pleck Park is next on my radar, a peaceful spot despite the rumblings of the nearby motorway. A path at the far end of the park leads over the railway and onto Hough Road. Here we have a pocket of Pleck I've never explored before with the road looping around a residential estate as the 637 bus trundles by. Emerging onto Darlaston Road, I eagerly snap up shots of the Globe Inn and ponder the location of James Bridge railway station which was somewhere in the vicinity. I can see James Bridge aqueduct carrying the Walsall Canal in the distance, but Bentley Mill Way is subject to roadworks so I can't get any closer.

- The Myvod -
My fingers are feeling the cold now as I fumble on through Fallings Heath, Park Lane and Franchise Street seeing me cross from Walsall into Sandwell. The Myvod heralds my arrival into the Wood Green district of Wednesbury; the pub is a landmark on the 313 bus route and was probably overdue a photo pose given I was last in the area about six years ago! 

- St Paul's Church, Wood Green -
Myvod Road offers a glimpse of Albert Pritchard Infants School (Coleman Road) as I proceed to Wood Green Road. The first thing to catch my eye here is St Paul's Parish Church, standing tall next to the dual carriageway with the Wood Green Academy for close company. The church's lych gate is a nice carved feature that quietly provides a note of history alongside busy traffic.

- Horse & Jockey -
A trio of pubs now require some photographic attention. The Queens Head on Brunswick Park Road appears to have had a makeover since D9 and I visited three years ago, while the Cottage remains derelict but is at least still standing when I half-suspected it would have been demolished. The other corner with Hobs Road is occupied by the rather handsome Horse & Jockey, a place I particularly remember for a lovely ceramic tiled counter in the main bar although the pub's exterior is also impressive.

- Brunswick Park -
Wood Green Cemetery is home to a war memorial cross and neighbours Brunswick Park, an area of recreational open space with hard courts and a skateboard zone. This seems like a good spot for me to have some lunch, with dessert coming courtesy of park lodge photos and a stroll by the bandstand.

- Wednesbury Town Clock -
It's just a short walk from the park into Wednesbury town centre, passing the Park Inn and the local library before Spring Head connects me to the Market Place. The clock tower here is a much-loved landmark, dating from 1911 when it was constructed to celebrate King George V's coronation. Add in a shot or two of the Pig & Trumpet and the modern day market stalls down by Morrisons, and I can catch the 313 back to Walsall feeling pleased once more with my exploration efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment