Tuesday, October 28

A Sutton Park Story

Last Wednesday's Chip Foundation outing around Streetly and Sutton Coldfield had left me with some unfinished business where Sutton Park was concerned. Not to worry, the park and surrounding areas would make the ideal location for my next Monday Mission instead...

- Streetly Library -
So it was that on Monday 27th October I found myself aboard the 935 bus bearing down upon Streetly once more. The area has a long pedigree in my personal exploration history having featured during journeys on the 377 route back before I even had a digital camera. It's nice to see Blackwood Road again with the familiar shops, schools and branch library although I don't previously remember spotting the Streetly Evangelical Church tucked away on Egerton Road.

- Streetly Childrens Centre -
Even when revisiting areas you think you know well there's always scope for a surprise or two, and on Foley Road East I happen across a couple more local features that had thus far escaped my attention. Streetly Community Centre, Childrens Centre and Youth Club are neatly packaged on one site just across from All Saints Parish Church.

- Streetly Lodge -
Emerging onto Thornhill Road, I've got my bearings correct for Streetly Gate this week although the Little Aston signs indicate I'm flirting once more with Staffordshire. There's a Co-op, a kitchen showroom and the Streetly Village Fish Bar if you continue north-east along the B4138 but my focus is firmly on Streetly Lodge guarding an entrance into the National Nature Reserve.

- Jamboree Scout Stone -
I remember visiting Sutton Park during day trips as a kid but somehow or other my explorations since have always skirted around the edges without properly venturing within. The site is said to cover over 2,000 acres comprising pools, open heath, woodland and marsh. I'm tempted to venture cross country into the wilderness but decide to stick with the main driveway (my evening shift at work means I don't want to risk getting too lost or muddy). I thus pass various gravel car parks before reaching the jamboree stone, commemorating the 9th World Scout Jamboree held here in 1957.

- Longmoor Pool -
At Hollyhurst I switch paths and bear right in the vague direction of Banners Gate. Being half term, it's encouraging to see so many kids out enjoying the park whether cycling, walking dogs or even attempting a round on the private golf course. Longmoor Pool is a scene of relative tranquility where the golden shades of autumn can also be enjoyed.

- Banners Gate -
Just a little further and I reach Banners Gate, handily located to provide park access from New Oscott and Kingstanding. Another lodge house stands sentry here while the children's play area is proving popular over by Monmouth Drive. You also hear the regular rumble of cars and such like trundling over the cattle grids, hopefully keeping to the park's internal 5 miles-per-hour speed limit.

- A Bit of Bird Life -
Rather than retrace my steps back through the park, I take the road route around to Boldmere with Monmouth Drive flanking the park's southern perimeter. I collect a spot of lunch from Boldmere Shops before strolling along Stonehouse Road and indulging in some token ornithology, although my knowledge on the bird species is shamefully limited to saying it was black and had feathers!

- Boldmere Gate -
Stonehouse Road leads up to Boldmere Gate as overlooked by both Boldmere Lodge and a Miller & Carter steakhouse restaurant. This seems like a suitable spot to have my lunch, so I find a quiet bench and enjoy the views looking over towards Powell's Pool.

- Powell's Pool -
This pool is the largest of the seven within the park and plays host to watersports, angling and boating although activities today seem to be restricted by the stiff breeze. Time is now ebbing away so a final stretch takes me via Somerville Road to the Horse & Jockey stop so that I can catch the bus back to Walsall where work beckons. I've got to grips with the western side of Sutton Park now but that still leaves the eastern half requiring investigation, with Town Gate, Bracebridge Pools and some former railway locations all awaiting discovery on a future Monday Mission...

No comments:

Post a Comment