Thursday, April 8

Taking Leave Part Two

A continued look at my adventures during my extended Easter break...

Tuesday 30th March: dipping into Dudley for a look at the Fens Branch of the Stourbridge Canal. Upper Pensnett gets me started with a photo of the Queens Head pub, then I enjoy a walk around the Fens Pools with the weather quite bleak and blustery. I join the canal at Wide Waters and follow along to Cressett Lane Bridge before veering off into Brockmoor. The afternoon comprises a stroll around Hawbush and Brierley Hill, during which my discoveries included Bull Street Bridge, Marsh Park and the Bull's Head.

Wednesday 31st March: A wet and windy whizz around Willenhall. I begin at Darlaston, investigating the Vine pub and the Green, before heading along Gipsy Lane to track down Willenhall Leisure Centre. A tour of the town provides photos of the Falcon on Gomer Street West, the new Morrisons and the 340 bus at Union Street terminus.

Thursday 1st April: The new month kicks off just as the old one ended, as I make an immediate return to Willenhall. The weather is still grim but I persevere for views of Portobello (the old Bird in Hand and the abandoned shops), Willenhall Town (the Windmill and the Market Place) and St Anne's Road (Forge Tavern and Rushbrooke Farthing). If anything the rain gets worse as I proceed to Lane Head and Short Heath, battling hard for my shots of landmarks such as the Bridge Tavern, the Brown Jug and Holy Trinity Church.

Tuesday 6th April: Easter itself was a quiet time so I was back on the beat come the following Tuesday. Bridgnorth and Much Wenlock were my destinations for some classic Shropshire exploring, with highlights including a proper look around Low Town and a glimpse of the Cliff Railway. At Much Wenlock I admired the medieval architecture and sampled a pint of Black Sheep Bitter in the George & Dragon - a fitting way to conclude my holiday if ever there was one!

No comments:

Post a Comment