Sunday, March 21

A Trip of Two Halves (or was it eight?)

Friday 19th March: This was an outing with something of a split personality, starting in the morning with some local exploring around Winson Green and Smethwick before the afternoon sees me join Stephen and Nick for a proper Black Country pubcrawl. Here for your delectation are my summary selections...

Part One

  • Metro: A congested rush hour ride to Winson Green Outer Circle, the old sardines comparison certainly applied here and it was a relief to escape the crush.
  • Winson Green: The photos are underway with views of the Acorn pub and Winson Green Prison, where the wardens seemed to be waving at me. Thankfully Stephen's prediction that I would get arrested didn't become reality!
  • Canal: The Soho Loop first, exploring between Asylum Bridge and Winson Green Junction (by the Soho train depot). Its then the Main Line to Rotton Park where I rejoin the Soho Loop up to Spring Hill Bridge - it's all quite bleak and industrial here.
  • Dudley Road: Ticking over with views of the Birmingham Arms and City Hospital, where I can admire the new Birmingham Treatment Centre building.
  • Heath Street: one of my main missions for the morning is to get a photo of the 66 bus at its current Ladywood terminus, as this bit of the route will be withdrawn at the end of the month. Luckily the bus is waiting for me and a nice Polish driver lets me get a series of shots before bidding me to "have a nice day".
  • Summerfield Park: a quick look at the Bricklayers Arms then its the park, where I compose views of the bandstand and a fine avenue of trees. Another hitlist target is the old police station next door, so I add in views of the side and front elevations with Crimestoppers posters to the fore.
  • Cape Hill: an area once dominated by the old Mitchells and Butlers Brewery, the site of which has been transformed into a housing estate. I was pleased to find the works war memorial given pride of place in the new development, and also enjoyed getting a closer look at the Cape Hill Board Schools and old Dispensary building. Unsurprisingly, given the brewing heritage here, there are some handsome pub buildings to photograph including the Dudley Arms, the Waterloo and the Shireland.
  • Bearwood: or rather the fringes of Bearwood, where the Hadley Stadium had turnstiles that wouldn't look out of place at a Soviet prison camp. The Barleycorn pub seems to have shut but its curving frontage remains intact and reminded me a little of the Baldwin at Hall Green.
  • Smethwick: I've always thought of Smethwick as a bustling multicultural centre with lots of temples, so it was interesting to see a different side to the area. Smethwick Old Church and the neighbouring Old Chapel pub hinted at a traditional village centre, a nice quiet corner to discover. I then return to the more familiar Smethwick with views of the Red Cow, Old Corner House (after a Rabone Lane diversion) and the Blue Gates before catching my train at Rolfe Street.
Part Two
  • Let the pubcrawl commence! I meet Stephen in Wolverhampton for a nice spot of lunch with St John's Church providing a relaxing backdrop to our chips.
  • Bulls Head: 558 to Sedgley and into the local Holden's where I sample some Golden Glow as we await Nick's arrival. With our party complete, the Cheers photos begin as we look forward to the afternoon ahead.
  • Courthouse: more 558 brings us to Dudley, where I add shots of the Old Priory and the Malt Shovel to my collection. We descend on the Courthouse, a Black Country Ales house gathering a great reputation for real ales. There is certainly a wide selection, with Nick tempted by some Rhymney whilst I plump for BFG (Bradley's Finest Golden). The pub is nicely done out and Stephen seemed particularly impressed with the toilets.
  • Lamp Tavern: a wander up the top end of town brings us into Batham's territory, where the barmaid gently ribs us for drinking mild instead of bitter. The Lamp is becoming a firm Paul favourite now, and I really like little touches such as the embossed bull brown tiles and the wall of community photos and notices.
  • Ma Pardoe's: the rain has set in but we don't have to wait long for our 243 to Netherton where the Old Swan was beckoning. The place was once again a real treat to visit, sampling some Bumblehole in the back snug with Stephen seeming quite impressed by the character and atmosphere of the building.
  • Bull and Bladder: its become a personal tradition now that whenever I visit Ma Pardoe's I should also include a call at the Bull and Bladder - and why not? The 283 provided the link and soon we were drying off with a classic Friday afternoon drinking experience, sitting underneath the dartboard to savour our Batham's Bitter (or lemon and black for Mr Beardsmore).
  • Brierley Hill: into the evening and the weather now is quite miserable. A soggy stroll down the Delph and up to the High Street brings my attention to the George Gallagher, the Old New Inn and the Red Lion, all future photo targets for me to make mental note of.
  • Rose and Crown: a Good Beer Guide entrant and our second Holden's of the day. Although not as exalted as our last two offerings, the place seemed quite cosy and relaxed so I felt at home, plus there was the added bonus of being close to the 254 bus stop.
  • Wombourne: we decided it might be wise to include an Andy-patented bladder stop to break up the journey back. The New Inn at Wombourne did the trick, and we finished off with a bite to eat whilst waiting for our final 256.
Split personality or otherwise, it was certainly an epic day with the photos and the memories stacking up at a rate of knots. The morning changed a few of my perceptions about Winson Green and Smethwick, whilst the afternoon offered its fair share of golden pub moments. My thanks to Stephen and Nick for their company and conversation, excellent as ever, and I look forward eagerly to our next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment