Saturday, June 14

A Telford Classic

My annual outing to Telford is traditionally one of the highlights of the exploration calendar, and 2008's contribution proved no exception. Here are a selection of my favourite moments from yesterday's visit...
  • Town Park & Hinkshay - after catching the 892 across from Wolverhampton, I got the photos off and running with a stroll around Telford Town Park. The park sadly didn't look as immaculate as usual, although it was still nice going back down memory lane with a look at the play area and ornamental gardens. Rather than heading back to the bus station, I decided to venture further into the park, making my way along a country lane to eventually emerge into Hinkshay. Discoveries here included the crumbling derelict White Hart pub, plus the Three Crowns and Queens Arms as I continued towards Dawley.

  • 99 - every so often I happen upon a route that reminds me just why I enjoy bus exploration so much, and the 99 yesterday was one such example. I thoroughly enjoyed the chance to sit back, relax and take in new surroundings on the ride from Telford to Broseley. The route introduced me to Horsehay, with the Station Inn, the Telford Steam Railway, the village hall and the Foresters Arms all catching my eye. Then came Coalbrookdale, with its atmospheric industrial heritage and traditional looking pubs, followed by Ironbridge with a cracking view of the bridge itself. A fascinating journey then that provided me with loads of ideas for further investigation.

  • Broseley - As tempting as Horsehay, Coalbrookdale and Ironbridge were, my destination of choice was the charming mining town of Broseley. I found a nice spot for some lunch, a bench by the war memorial surrounded by flowers, then explored the High Street for photos of pubs such as the Albion and the Lion Hotel. I also tracked down the Duke of York, hidden up a side street, and the local library although it didn't open until 2pm. Broseley is one of my kind of places, lots of character, interesting buildings and a friendly feel which made it a pleasure to explore.
  • Telford Central - returning to Telford, I made my way to Telford Central Station to get a few rail photos, mainly concentrating on platform views and investigating the long red footbridge thing. I've been through the station a few times over the years but this was my first photo call here since August 2004, so a refresh was long overdue and quite enjoyable, especially with trains to New Street and Chester providing some further targets.
  • Donnington - after a useful reminder of the 55 Green Line route, including an intriguing ride around Wrockwardine Wood, I alight on Turreff Avenue for my first proper look at Donnington. My stay is only brief, but is long enough to allow for photos of the Champion Jockey pub (another in a growing list of closed and empty locals), the local shops and Donnington Branch Library, where I'm able to raid the leaflet racks for some useful research materials.

I'm always hesitant to start labelling outings as classic trips, but this trip is thoroughly deserving of that tag. It was exploration at its best, just cruising around on the local buses and with plenty of local interest to keep me occupied - I'm already looking forward to returning to Telford for the 2009 adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment