Saturday, April 5

Fatherless Barn, Cradley and Hill Top

I've done some good outings recently, but yesterday's was especially enjoyable as I investigated a few more Dudley bus routes before venturing over into Sandwell territory...

First up was the 270 for a ride from Bilston to Dudley - the route is due to be withdrawn, and provided intriguing reminders of Daisy Bank and Wallbrook, with a glimpse of Coseley Swimming Baths for good measure. From Dudley it was onto the 244 to Hasbury, with Baptist End and Hawne particularly catching my eye as being worthy of further investigation.

After various twists and turns through the estates of Hasbury and Hayley Green, the bus dropped me off on Lutley Lane and I began one of my now customary epic walks. Photo targets included the Foxhunt and the Rose & Crown as I made my way along Hagley Road, before branching off up Albert Road past the Button Factory. I emerged onto Drews Holloway and braved the climb uphill to get a photo of the Round of Beef and catch a glimpse of Windmill Hill's shops and post office.

From here I ventured into the Fatherless Barn estate - I could vaguely recall riding through on a 247 or 248, but this was my first proper look. The undulations were putting me off to begin with, but my mood improved after getting a photo of the 210 on Meres Road. I also found the local shops and the Smiths Arms pub to add to the photo count, and came away pleased to have another little piece of the Black Country ticked off and accounted for.

It was now approaching lunchtime so I press on towards Colley Gate, pausing momentarily for a look at the Broadstone pub before heading down Tanhouse Lane. Colley Gate itself is familiar from the No. 9 bus, and I busied myself getting photos of pubs such as the Chainmaker, the Gate and the Chop House.

Perhaps my favourite part of the day came as I ventured into Cradley. I added to my library collection by calling into Cradley Library on Colley Lane, before enjoying a cracking lunch by the war memorial on yet another hill. The pub photos continued with the Old Crown (closed and looking rather forlorn) and the Vine, and I even had a little look at Netherend for shots of the Unitarian chapel and Netherend Square. I arrived at Cradley Heath Interchange with slightly aching feet and was glad of a sit down as the 404A took me off to West Bromwich.

The afternoon's antics centred on exploring Black Lake and Hill Top, starting with a few photos at the Metro stop. The feet were soon suffering again, but the local knowledge I gained was more than adequate compensation. Pub discoveries included the New Talbot, the Globe (heading out towards Harvills Hawthorn), the Dovecote (opposite the local library), and a motley collection down Witton Lane way that included the Junction and some other pub with Albion flags outside that I decided not to bother with for obvious reasons!! The library itself was also intriguing - housed in an impressive former police building with Hill Top Park round the back, the library occupies a tiny little room and is apparently being threatened with closure. I then finished off with a stroll down Holloway Bank and along the industrial grimness that is Potters Lane before arriving at Wednesbury Great Western Metro stop for my tram back to Bilston.

A busy day, making the most of some nice weather for a change and uncovering more of the Black Country in the process. The forthcoming Dudley network changes have certainly given me a great excuse to indulge in some fine trips of late, and I look forward to investigating some of the new routes once the revised network is in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment