Sunday, March 3

Widney Manor and Monkspath

Is this the very definition of madness? It's one thing for the weather to turn on you when you're already out and about, but quite another to go ahead with an outing if the forecast in advance is dire. Such is my wish to stretch my legs and clear away some cobwebs that I'm steering a course for soggy Solihull regardless of the elements... 

- The Hawthorns -
It's Saturday 2nd March 2024 and I'm risking the wrath of the weather gods by pressing on anyway, although I'm already sensing that the rain isn't quite as heavy as predicted when I touch base at The Hawthorns. The mere mention of West Bromwich Albion usually brings me out in a rash but any Baggies-induced coughing fits are offset by the chance to have a mooch along Middlemore Road. The station was opened in 1995 as part of the Jewellery Line project which restored train services into Birmingham Snow Hill, hence the frontage design is similar in appearance to Jewellery Quarter and Smethwick Galton Bridge. Midland Metro trams also call here, and there are signs for segregating home and away supporters on matchdays. 

- Widney Manor Station -
My sojourn near a certain football stadium is mercifully brief and I'm soon en route into Solihull territory. Widney Manor doesn't get as much WME attention as some stations despite being served by the number 5 bus and half-hourly trains between Birmingham, Dorridge and/or Stratford-upon-Avon. There has been a station on this site since 1899 although the current incumbent is a fairly functional modern rebuild that nevertheless does what it says on the tin. My initial photographic survey covers running boards, hooped noticeboards and the standard booking office (which is staffed most mornings of the week). 

- Hillfield Park -
Widney Lane and Monkspath Hall Road combine to lead me towards Monkspath, a former manorial settlement which was developed for overspill housing during the 1980s. Hillfield Park is the principal area of open space, comprising sports pitches, a local nature reserve, and an Armed Forces Community Garden designed to act as a 'healing habitat'. It's rather squelchy underfoot in places so I stick with the main pavement to reach a series of business parks and car dealerships; I'd know where to go if I wanted a Porsche or a Volkswagen, put it that way!

- Hillfield Farm -
Ignoring the Stonegate and Pegasus offices, I take closer interest in the Hillfield Farm as an example of the Farmhouse Inns dining and carvery chain. The place has already been open a few hours supplying buffet breakfasts so they're just switching into afternoon carvery service when I pitch up circa midday. Whilst I can never get overly excited about these types of pub, having a swift pint here does tick another West Midlands watering hole off my wanted list. As you might expect, there are several families in attendance poring over the reasonably-priced menus but my choice of Carling isn't going to set the world on fire. 

- Monkspath Family Centre -
Retracing my footsteps back along Monkspath Hall Road, I detour off via Hay Lane so as to investigate more amenities. Monkspath Family Centre is part of the Junior and Infant School complex off Farmhouse Way while there is a doctor's surgery and a community centre close at hand too. My second pub of the day is simply called The Farm but - unlike its business estate counterpart - this one has some age to it with the main Grade II-listed farmstead building said to date from the 16th century. First floor timbers look the part in harking back to the days when Shelly was a separate historical hamlet, while a neighbouring outhouse barn seems to focus on the restaurant side of the business. I stick with the public bar, lapping up a more than decent drop of Silhill Brewery's Blonde Star - I must admit I'm warming to Monkspath!

- Shelly Farm Shops -
The Farm's tagline is 'No Bull' and they operate under the Lovely Pubs banner so I'm inclined to keep an eye out for other establishments within their portfolio; upmarket but welcoming with a neat line in cutlery-themed artworks. Practically next door is Shelly Farm shopping precinct complete with Co-op store, beauty salon and a takeaway (the Shelly Farm Fryer), although the post office seems to have closed down, possibly for refurbishment or relocation? Shelly Crescent is part of the number 5 bus route and backs onto the south-eastern reaches of Solihull Golf Club (otherwise accessed from Saintbury Drive). 

- The Fieldhouse -
My trio of agriculturally-titled taverns concludes with The Fieldhouse, an Ember Inns effort on Monkspath Hall Road. I came here with Nick some years ago and it hasn't changed much if at all; a dining emphasis is to be expected but they are proud of a cask ale repertoire which has earned Good Beer Guide recognition from Solihull's CAMRA branch. London Pride, Oakham Citra, Adnam's Ghost Ship and St Austell's Proper Job are all on show but my vote goes to the Birmingham Pale Brummie which is served perfectly fresh. Sitting outside in chilly March temperatures is a feat of endurance even with Hillfield Park vistas to admire, and I make it back to Widney Manor Station in time for the 14:36 train home. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment