Sunday, January 8

Lost Pubs from the WME Archives: Part 28

Although my archive assortment postings have become less frequent as time has gone on, I still like to ferret through forgotten folders whenever the chance arises. The recent Christmas holiday presented one such opportunity so here's what I unearthed...

- The Dun Horse -
Anyone who keeps half an eye on my Flickr photostream may have detected a preoccupation with Kendal recently so this episode of Lost Pubs begins with two Cumbrian contenders which had their pictures taken back in 2010. The Dun Horse looked like an old-fashioned market town establishment at the time and was situated at the western tip of Stramongate just down from Branthwaite Brow. It subsequently was known as the Gate of Kendal for a short period before seemingly becoming an Italian restaurant/bar. I'm not quite sure what its current status is so feel free to comment with any updates.

- Victoria Tavern -
While the Dun Horse might still be trading in a heavily modified guise, my second selection from Kendal has definitely ceased to have a hospitality function. Perched immediately beside the landmark Longpool (A6) steel bridge, the Victoria Tavern would presumably have been very handy indeed for the adjacent railway station but its proximity to a transport location wasn't enough to spare it from closure. The building has since been converted into flats. 

- The Corn Exchange -
Heading closer to home, we'll pause in the carpet-making town of Kidderminster to ponder the fate of the Corn Exchange. A Banks's house for several years, it stood close to the former Cattle Market site (Market House next door having served as the RAFA Social Club). After shutting down in 2015 it has been repurposed as a fish and chip shop, hence CAMRA's Whatpub entry mournfully comments "another piece of Kidderminster's heritage trashed". 

- The Beacon -
A certain Sedgley stalwart means I have a special fondness for pubs called the Beacon but alas my affections cannot extend to the Madeley example of that name. Grade II-listed, this fine C18th property has sadly gone to rack and ruin since being fenced off and effectively left to rot. There was some talk of replacing it with a supermarket or turning it into apartments but nothing appears to have come to fruition as yet, hence it remains an Ironbridge Rd eyesore. 

- Cedar Tree -
I realise that not one of the previous four pictures counts as an actual West Midlands watering hole so I'll finish with an offering from Walsall, well Aldridge to be exact. The Cedar Tree was a standard estate boozer on Walsall Wood Road until the Co-op claimed it for one of their local stores, meaning that me taking this picture was the closest I ever came to having a drink here - with hindsight I should have nipped in for a swift pint! Thankfully the Lazy Hill Tavern almost directly opposite is still going, and on that note I'll close this archive extract. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. If I had to choose between those 4 I'd guess it would be the Cedar Tree Guess it wasn't a real ale stronghold though !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin - I think the Lazy Hill Tavern always had the edge on the Cedar Tree where the real ales were concerned, although the Lazy Hill itself was transformed last year into a modern Desi kitchen-type place so I'm not sure of its cask credentials at the moment. I wish I'd gone in the Corn Exchange too, while the Beacon in Madeley perhaps didn't have the best reputation despite the apparent grandeur of the building. Cheers, Paul

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:18 am

    If I could stand on my roof, here in Northfield, Birmingham, I would see 5 pubs in the perimeter of a half mile that closed in the past 15 years, and 2 hanging on by a thread !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Some areas have really seen their pub stocks decimated, and I can recall some Northfield haunts that are no longer with us - the Dingle featured on one of my earlier Lost Pubs posts, whereas the Beeches went up in smoke before I could get any pictures of it. Cheers, Paul

      Delete