Sunday, August 7

Bull-ish About Birmingham

Commonwealth Games fever has swept Brum recently as the Second City celebrates hosting the 2022 edition of the international sporting spectacle. I was lucky enough to catch some of the Cycling Time Trial action when that visited Wolverhampton, and now on Saturday 6th August I'm Birmingham-bound to catch up with some bulls...

- Raging Bull at Centenary Square -
The Commonwealth Games got underway on Thursday 28th July with a memorable opening ceremony that showcased the proud history of Birmingham and the wider West Midlands region as well as introducing the participating athletes. Stealing the show however was a mechanical raging bull with red eyes and smoking nostrils, an exhibit that was designed to represent female emancipation (with reference to Cradley Heath chainmakers) and Brum's many diverse migrant communities. After the ceremony the bull has taken up residence at Centenary Square where it regularly attracts flocks of fans, myself included. There had been talk that the structure would be dismantled once the Games have finished but a petition to retain it as a legacy feature will mean it hopefully is preserved for future display.

- Perry at Oozells Square -
Raging Bull has arguably stolen some of the thunder of 'Perry', the official Games mascot who nevertheless seems to have quickly become popular especially with young children. As part of an initiative to encourage exercise and get visitors to see more of Birmingham, Perry's Trail has been created utilising 17 physical statues and nine digital avatars at key locations across the city centre. Having enjoyed similar previous events involving owls, bears and snowmen, I was naturally keen to capture some of these on camera, starting with the installation at Oozells Square around the back of Brindley Place. This proved to be one of the quieter locations whereas some of the others attracted a significant youthful entourage!

- The Bear That Cares -
Plotting my way back through the crowds, I account for further Perry sculptures on Broad Street (beside the Black Sabbath bench), Summer Row (close to the Shakespeare pub), Colmore Row (within the grounds of St Philip's Cathedral) and outside Snow Hill railway station. Steelhouse Lane then leads me steadily down to Birmingham Children's Hospital where along with a Perry I can also reacquaint myself with 'Florence Nightinowl' from the Big Hoot and 'The Bear That Cares' from the Big Sleuth - they're getting quite a collection down here to be fair. One of the avatar screens is sited on Colmore Circus so you can strike your best pose with an animated Perry should you so desire.

- Perry on Church Street -
I might have declined that selfie invitation but I'm not going to refuse the prospect of a quality pint, especially when the Wellington is waiting to claim my custom. This Bennetts Hill mecca has been a mainstay of the Birmingham real ale scene for several years and comes up trumps for a Coach House Strawberry Blonde, poured from pump 8 according to the menu screens. The pub's pet cats rule the roost here, hence the instructions not to let them out of the back door, and the place in general is bubbling up ready for a busy Saturday afternoon service. Appropriately refreshed, I resume my Perry search on Church Street with a specimen that faces out towards the Jewellery Quarter and appears to be waving at St Paul's Church.

- St Paul's Church -
Said place of worship is my next prime photographic target, once I've crossed a pedestrian footbridge and ascended Ludgate Hill past the Actress & Bishop. The church is Georgian in origin having first been consecrated in 1779 and stands amidst a well-preserved square that is home to several elegant townhouses, not to mention artisan coffee shops. My penultimate Perry of the day laps up the sunshine as a young girl asks her daddy if she can take him home - cue the poor parent trying to explain why it won't fit in their garden! Charlotte Street heralds the Queens Arms with its lovely Mitchells & Butlers Gold Medal Ales frontispiece on Newhall Street junction (opposite what used to be the Assay Office until they moved to Moreton Street), then I burrow deeper into the Jewellery Quarter. 

- Ready for some Rock & Roll? -
I've tracked down ten of the seventeen Perry statues and the last of those can be found off Warstone Lane practically behind the Rose Villa Tavern - I've certainly enjoyed attempting some of the trail so I can easily envisage kids really loving it. Finishing off in the Jewellery Quarter means there are an enviable number of ale options to choose from but I've got two establishments in mind that I'm most intent on revisiting. The Rock & Roll Brewhouse Bar on Hall Street is absolutely essential, producing vegan-friendly beer on the premises and playing  eclectic playlists every weekend. I partake in a pristine pint of 'King Kong' and get chatting to one of my old public library colleagues who I hadn't seen for years, wonderful!

- Raspberry Pale at the Jewellers Arms - 
The Elvis cardboard cut-out seems disappointed that I'm departing Rock & Roll but I simply must proceed to my closing port of call, namely the Jewellers Arms on Hockley Street. This Black Country Ales boozer served as Birmingham CAMRA's Pub of the Year from 2019 to 2021 and was a leading contender for the 2022 vote too. Titanic's Raspberry Pale has a pleasing pink tinge which I pair with a cheese and red onion cob for a tasty late lunch. The pub is very handy for the Jewellery Quarter railway station and that's where I ultimately head for my homeward train, keeping tabs on the football scores as Wolves start their 2022/23 campaign with defeat at Leeds. Birmingham was brilliant today and that's no bull!

No comments:

Post a Comment