Sunday, August 8

Swerving the Saturday Showers

It must have been well over a year since I last staged a Saturday outing, such has been the change of weekend routine brought about by the Covid pandemic. An iffy weather forecast wasn't about to deter me from amending that situation, so on Saturday 7th August 2021 I braced myself for the prospects of rain during a Rowley Regis, Shell Corner and Hurst Green circuit...

- A Merrivale Mess -
The plan is simple enough - get myself to Rowley Regis station and set about taking a few photographs - but yet again the railway gods have other ideas. For the second time in a matter of weeks, trains on the Stourbridge Line are subject to cancellations, lack of train crew being the root cause on this occasion. The 49 bus is my backup option as I consider visiting Brandhall, only for that idea to get torpedoed the moment I see the sadly stricken Merrivale. Once a fine suburban roadhouse, this Langley landmark looks a total wreck with half of its roof missing so its days must surely be numbered.  

- Causeway Green Post Office -
Budding Adam Peatys and Rebecca Adlingtons are making their way to Langley Baths for a morning swim as Joinings Bank combines with New Henry Street, custom dictating that I take my usual detour for snaps of Langley's Carnegie branch library. The Royal Oak as was is in a state of perilous half-demolished limbo, whereas in Causeway Green the former Hen & Chickens is now calling itself Saphari (still operating as an oriental buffet restaurant). Across the Wolverhampton Road, I note the presence of Oldbury Pharmacy, the Causeway Fish Bar and the local post office while trying to stockpile photos prior to any precipitation. 

- Shell Corner Memorial -
The rain holds off long enough for me to proceed via Penncricket Lane (passing Causeway Green Primary School and a Methodist Chapel) into Cakemore Road, albeit there is definitely drizzle in the air by the time I reach the Arcelor Mittal plant. Hurrying up a tad, Nimmings Road connects me to Shell Corner where I can admire a World War One memorial styled as an artillery munitions shell complete with painted poppies. The current commemoration came about following a heritage campaign and is a nod to a previous version which stood on the Nimmings Road/Long Lane roundabout from the mid 1920s through to the early 1970s.

- The Swan -
The promised showers are really making their presence felt so luckily the Swan is on hand to help me shelter from the squall. I recall this pub being under threat a few years ago; thankfully Black Country Ales stepped in and it continues to go from strength to strength. I'm almost spoiled for choice beer-wise but Salopian's Mind Bomb Stout soothes my craving for a darker brew, the accompanying cheese and red onion cob having a hefty wedge of cheddar. Cricket scores from Trent Bridge mingle with a Curtis Mayfield soundtrack as I ponder the joys of Saturday supping and check on Team GB's Olympics progress in Tokyo. 

- Banks's Amber at the Fairfield -
Any thoughts of venturing towards Old Hill are scrapped as soon as I see raindrops bouncing off the pavement, so I'd best stay close if I'm to keep dry. Hurst Green is a mere dash away, hence a hood-up scurry along Oak Barn Road has me homing in on the Fairfield. For a standard estate Marston's effort this is rather a handsome building, originally opening in 1938 although it has been modernised a bit since then. The front bar is just out of squealing range from the family dining contingent and serves me nicely for some Banks's Amber and a chance to cheer on the 4 x 400m women's relay team - they came 5th, no disgrace in that.

- Rowley Regis Conclusion -
With the rain relenting slightly, I take a punt on one more watering hole before heading home. My pick is the Clock Inn, languidly curving around the corner of Nimmings Road and Masters Lane. Carling suffices in the absence of cask ale as I make the acquaintance of an Elvis cardboard cutout over by the pool table - his blue suede shoes would've got a soaking today. I'm then handily placed for a dart to Rowley Regis railway station where I'm relieved to find a train is imminent and that's job done for my Saturday session - cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Can't think of any Elvis related beer puns WME!!! The Swan looks like a classic and I have to say I think BCA pubs are my favourite chain of pubs along with Joules...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beermat, let's hope any ale doesn't get 'All Shook Up'. The Swan can be added to your evergrowing list of boozers to visit, and I agree that Black Country Ales do produce some great pubs. I am a confirmed Joules fan although I understand Stafford Paul is less convinced. Cheers, Paul

      Delete