Saturday, October 24

Oldswinford in October

For October's swansong outing, I speculated that something from Stourbridge or thereabouts might work well. Oldswinford duly stepped up to the mark for a dash of drizzly photography plus some bostin' Bathams ales - here comes the tale of the trip...

- The Bantock Bull -
Friday 23rd October brings with it almost the archetypal autumnal morning: dull, dank and dripping with dew. There's precious little brightness around as I begin at Bantock Park, kicking up the leaves and bidding good day to a certain carved bull that keeps a stern eye on Bantock House happenings. The museum presents elegant Edwardian interiors from the time when Baldwin and Kitty Bantock lived here - the Billiard Room being a particular favourite of mine - while the bull sculpture recalls the days of cattle grazing on the parkland pasture.

- Intriguing Underpasses -
After that brief burst of Bantock, I make tracks via Smethwick Galton Bridge to arrive at Stourbridge Junction just after 11am. I'm hoping I might catch sight of George the station cat (something of a famous feline with an extensive Twitter following) but alas he must be out on 'pawtrol' somewhere or tucking into his supply of Dreamies. Instead I venture along Chawn Hill and find a network of footpaths beneath the platforms, cue for some spooky underpass tunnels enlivened with street art. 

- A Churchyard Creature? -
One of the footpaths brings me out into the graveyard of St Mary's, the parish church for Oldswinford which originally was the principal place of worship for the whole of the Stourbridge area. A sense of history is certainly palpable with parts of the church dating from the fourteenth century, the nave and east end having then seen Victorian improvements. The adjacent Rectory is impressive in its own right, and the churchyard is home to a number of cute creature sculptures fashioned out of logs and timber. 

- Mary Stevens Park -
Swinford Road takes me past the King Edward School playing fields to reach the romantically-titled Love Lane, from whence I can nip into Mary Stevens Park. Stourbridge's flagship public open space, the park officially opened in 1931 and is named in honour of Mary, wife of local industrialist and benefactor Ernest Stevens. Features include Heath Pool, the Stourbridge town war memorial, a bandstand and Grade II listed wrought iron main gates. I tiptoe through the trees in gathering a few pictures despite the generally overcast skies before Heath Lane allows glimpses of the Old Swinford Hospital boarding school and the Shrubbery Cottage pub.

- This looks promising! -
Did I say pub? I've managed to sample many of my favourite Black Country ales since the first wave of lockdown eased in July but there was one notable exception - Bathams. Thankfully the Bird in Hand on Hagley Road can redress that situation as I partake of an excellent pint of Mild (I usually go for the divine Best Bitter so this was a turn up for the books). £4.20 covers both the beer and a stonking cheese, onion and black pudding cob, beat that for value if you can! Such is my satisfaction I don't even mind a bit of Baggies banter, and the glowing hearth adds a warming hug of cosiness too - just lovely.

- A Doghouse Denouement -
The sun tries its best to make an appearance as I head next for Stourbridge town centre, noting that the Labour in Vain on the corner of Red Hill is being converted into apartments. The drizzle soon returns though once I near the bus station so I seek shelter in the Dog House, a micropub based in the former Rock Station (or for older readers, the Vauxhall Tavern). I have many fond memories of drinking here with Roger and Woody, not to forget Chris's Disco or Blade the dog prowling about, so it's great to add this new chapter to the mix before catching the number 16 bus home. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Four quid for a pint of nectar and a cob!!! That's outrageous value...I take it bird in hand and the micro both decent boozers?
    Oldswinford hospital school are one of those that don't play the national game 😮😮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bathams are typically offer excellent value for money in their tied houses Beermat, which for miserly folk like me is certainly part of the charm ;)
      The Bird in Hand is a cracking boozer, highly recommended and the Dog House is... handy for the bus station shall we say? I'm sorry I gave Old Swinford Hospital 'airtime' if they don't have the correct sporting priorities! Cheers, Paul

      Delete
  2. Ha!!! No worries, duly noted re Dog House!!!

    ReplyDelete