Sunday, October 13

Sniffles around Solihull

I've been feeling slightly under the weather this week - runny nose, sore throat, that kind of thing BUT definitely not full scale manflu as yet. A few coughs and sneezes can't stop me from exploring though so I pack an extra handkerchief and set forth for Solihull...


- Hampton-in-Arden Station Sign -
Saturday 12th October and sniffles or not I'm determined to pay my first 2019 visit to Britain Beermat's old stomping ground of Solihull. I actually start in Hampton-in-Arden having caught the 11:14 train out from Birmingham New Street. Hampton Station has particularly long platforms, an echo of the days when this was a significant stop for airport connections prior to the opening of Birmingham International. 


- George Fentham School -
I've visited Hampton-in-Arden quite a few times before so many of the features are familiar. The war memorial sits on the fork of High Street and Shadowbrook Lane while the local church is dedicated to St Mary and St Bartholomew. I take pains to gather repeat pictures of both the branch library and the village primary school, the latter named in reference to the 17th century benefactor George Fentham who bequeathed a trust fund to help support the poor of the parish. 


- Walsal End -
The White Lion - recently reviewed by Mr Beermat Esq - is tempting but I have a different watering hole in mind today. As such, I plot a cross country route to Barston via public footpaths, field edges and plank footbridges. The walk introduces me to the hamlet of Walsal End, a tiny settlement notable for exclusive barn conversions - all a far cry from the Walsall I'm more used to frequenting! At one point I take an unintended detour into a farmyard where the pungent cowshed odours help to clear my blocked airways.


- The Bulls Head -
The exercise is doing me the power of good as I emerge onto Oak Lane for the centre of Barston. St Swithin's Church does its best to distract me but the main attraction is undoubtedly the Bulls Head, a longstanding favourite of Solihull CAMRA. 25+ years in the Good Beer Guide is sure indication of the ale quality although I believe selection rules regarding changes of licensee mean it isn't eligible for the 2020 edition. Nonetheless, the Adnams Southwold Bitter is on good form as some old boys discuss heart attacks, Eric Lyons meat pies and gently tease the barmaid. 


- Well hello there Catherine -
Catherine de Barnes sounds less like a West Midlands village and more akin to a femme fatale from a Mills & Boon bonkbuster - imagine the scene...

"Darling", Ms de Barnes whispered as he knelt down beside her, "where have you been all evening?" His lips were still moist from an encounter minutes earlier and he knew he would have to tell her he loved another. Yes dear reader, he'd lost his heart to the fragrance, the allure and the foamy head of... Draught Bass!


- Catherine de Barnes Village Hall -
Back in the real world, Catherine de Barnes is a well-to-do place on the side of the Grand Union Canal. There's a village hall - housed in what looks like an old school building dating from 1879 - plus a Londis store and a posh pub called the Boat Inn (part of the Chef & Brewer chain). Sadly I can't engage in any Bass-based romantic misdemeanours here and have to content myself with a decent pint of Abbot Ale, paying £4.02 for the privilege - why the extra 2p?


- Red House renovations? -
Thankfully the resultant pocketful of change doesn't weigh me down too much as I close in on Solihull. The Grand Union towpath is closed off for resurfacing so I take the standard roadside option, Lugtrout Lane passing a couple of football pitches and the Knowle & Dorridge Cricket Club seconds ground. I'd earmarked a suburban Thwaites boozer for a final drink of the day only to find my research has let me down - the Red House is currently fenced off albeit I'm not sure if the situation is terminal. With a sneeze and a splutter I make it thence to Solihull Station, catching the 15:54 for a lozenge-fuelled ride home. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Britain Beermat9:02 pm

    You should have called!!! Bulls Head is a classic and what a walk that is from Hampton in Arden!!
    I've never actually heard of Walsal End so you've beaten me to that and Boat Inn is bog standard fayre...didn't know the Red House had bitten the dust? I hope it's not terminal. You should have walked to the greville arms...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beermat, it was a nice walk even with a bit of a cold and quite a change from the urban scenery I usually have to contend with. I'd never heard of Walsal End either until I pitched up there, it only really amounts to a few nice houses and a duckpond.

      Very impressed with the Bulls Head, less so with the Boat although it was decent enough and popular with diners. I have done the Greville Arms before and it was an option, on another day if I'd been feeling better I would have done it.

      I'm not sure what the situation is with the Red House although Google seems to think it has closed permanently. I don't think it's been closed long, possibly only since the summer, and I've written places off before that have then risen from the ashes. It would be a shame if it has gone for good, especially as I never got around to sampling it :(
      Cheers, Paul

      Delete