Tuesday, August 7

WME Walks: Kingswinford

Kingswinford is one of those places I know really well in part but there are bits of it that I hardly know at all. It is these less-familiar corners that I set out to investigate for my first August 2018 adventure, grabbing my camera and catching the 255 bus across from Wolverhampton...

- The British Oak -
Just a little walk this one but a productive morning's work, starting off with Stallings Lane which always seemed to get mentioned on local radio commercials when I was a kid. Initial targets to capture on camera are a Lidl supermarket, a Cane Furniture showroom and the Kingswinford Snooker Centre plus a couple of garages. I then find the British Oak, a wedge-shaped modern Marston's pub that makes its debut among my photographic archive.


- Charterfield Shopping Centre -
Stallings Lane is also where I happen across the Charterfield Shopping Centre, based off the junction with Charterfield Drive just over the road from the pub. The self-contained parade includes several shops, most notably a large Morrisons store and a selection of takeaways (Double Happy, Balti Cottage et al). The Pensnett Trading Estate isn't far away either, home to a National Express West Midlands bus depot along with factory units and office accommodation.


- Blanford Mere School -
Branching away from Stallings Lane, I now take Balfour Road which I vaguely remember being the terminus of an old Travel Merry Hill route (possibly the 232). There aren't any buses along here these days though so I have to content myself with shots of the local primary school, Blanford Mere off Mimosa Walk (sharing its site with the Kingswinford & Wall Heath SureStart Centre) . The wider estate comprises a warren of cul-de-sacs and alleyways but I manage not to get lost, the sound of the church bells helping me keep my bearings. 


- King George VI Park -
A footpath beside the school leads in turn to King George VI Park, Kingswinford's flagship area of public open space. A pavement mosaic marks the main entrance (off Park Lane funnily enough) and depicts a royal portrait with a boar's head heraldic crest. The usual recreational amenities apply - sports pitches, children's play area, bits of grassland, trees and shrubs - while the park is the base for the Dudley Sports Crown Green Bowling Club as well.


- St Mary's Church -
I mentioned the church bells earlier and it's only right that I should give St Mary's my full consideration. Situated adjoining The Village (itself an attractive triangular green), the church has that classic picture postcard appeal set off perfectly by the summer sunshine. A carved lich gate and a poppy wreath-laden war memorial add to the scene, all watched over by the proud church tower with its 1897 clockface. It's a historic location harking back to the days when Kingswinford was a rural parish rather than part of the Dudley urban sprawl.


- Kingswinford Pool -
A further wander through King George VI Park boosts the quota of pretty scenery thanks to Kingswinford Pool, a man-made balancing lake that has become something of a haven for Canada geese. The Union, the Cottage and the Bell all get some repeat pub pictures before I finish off at Manor Park, surveying the sidestreet bus stop where the 205 and 657 routes layover. The Select Estate Agents and Amblecote Furnishers complete my photographic endeavours and I depart satisfied at adding that little bit more to my Kingswinford knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment