Friday, May 16

Waterways Walks: Wordsley to Wombourne

Thursday 15th May saw me setting out on a solo expedition, combining sections of the Stourbridge Canal with the Staffordshire & Worcestershire for a stroll from Wordsley to Wombourne by way of Stourton and Swindon...

- Red House Glass Cone -
I couldn't have wished for better weather as glorious sunshine smiles down while I make my way across to Wordsley on the 256 bus. I alight by the Red House Cone, that erstwhile symbol of the local glassmaking industry, and join the Stourbridge Canal at nearby Glasshouse Bridge.

- Lock 13, Stourbridge Canal -
The first stretch of my walk takes me down the lower part of the Stourbridge Locks and through to Wordsley Junction. The surroundings are industrial to begin with, particularly where the remains of the former Stuart Crystal factory overlook lock 13.

- Middle Bridge -
Beyond Wordsley Junction and the scenery becomes more green and rural as the canal enters South Staffordshire. Bells Mill Bridge is a place I've encountered many times during outings with Roger over the years, while Middle Bridge looks rather pretty surrounded by a leafy canopy.

- Stourton Locks -
After passing Newtown Bridge I arrive into Stourton where the Stourbridge Canal descends through four locks to meet the Staffs & Worcs at Stourton Junction. The combination of sunshine and springtime greenery means I'm being spoiled for choice in terms of photo targets, and the locks themselves make for an inviting sequence of shots.

- Gothersley Bridge -
I'd explored the Staffs & Worcs from Stourton towards Kinver before but never the section north towards Ashwood and Greensforge so I primed myself for some new exploration territory. I have to say that the walk was both fascinating and peaceful, as for a while around Prestwood I hardly saw another soul. The canal crosses above the River Stour on an aqueduct and then passes Prestwood Bridge to reach Gothersley where the bridge and adjacent lock certainly caught my eye.

- Ashwood Marina -
Onwards from Gothersley I encounter Rocky Lock (seemingly carved into a sandstone cliff) and then Flatheridge where the bridge is accompanied by a very pretty bungalow garden. An increasing proliferation of narrowboats is the telltale sign that I'm nearing Ashwood Marina, where a stub branches off from the main line to provide access to the private moorings.

- Greensforge Moorings -
After admiring Ashwood I quickly reach Greensforge where the Navigation pub is certainly tempting and appears to be doing a good lunchtime trade judging by the amount of people sitting on the beer tables outside. I manage to resist the lure of a well-earned pint for the time being but do pause at Greensforge Lock to watch a narrowboat skipper expertly working the gates and pound.

- The Green Man -
An enclave of mobile homes soon heralds my arrival at Hinksford where I spot the pumping station just beyond the wharf cottage. Hinksford Lock is just a little further as the afternoon sun starts to sap my energy, but luckily I'm not far from Swindon and a chance to top up my batteries with a spot of lunch. This is swiftly followed by a refreshing pint in the Green Man, a lovely traditional village pub where I enjoy some Ringwood Fourtyniner in the superb setting of a suntrap beer garden.

- The Bratch -
Re-energised I'm ready for the final leg into Wombourne, collecting an ice cream and then proceeding up via Marsh Lock, Botterham, Giggetty and Bumblehole to reach The Bratch with its distinctive toll house. There's just time to squirrel away a few final photos of the lock sequence here before the 255 bus whisks me back to Wolverhampton. An ideal way to spend a sunny spring day!

No comments:

Post a Comment