Saturday, November 9

Telford Twice Thwarted

I think the Shropshire weather must have it in for me at the moment, for twice in the matter of a month I've attempted a Telford outing only to abort it due to premature precipitation...


- The Woodcutter, Hollinswood -
The saga begins on Friday 11th October, when the weather seemed reasonable in Wolverhampton but the rain set in virtually the moment I stepped onto the platform at Telford Central. Despite the drizzle I braved a walk down through Hollinswood, discovering the Woodcutter as a piece of pub architecture straight from the brutalist handbook. By the time I reached Dawley Bank the drizzle had become a deluge, and the serious sogginess had me scampering for the safety of the train back home.

- Telford again, but still raining -
Fast forward four weeks to Friday 8th November, and the forecast is the very epitome of promising as I board the train in readiness for Telford Take Two. Perhaps the Wrekin creates a special microclimate where the clouds just cannot escape, for Wolverhampton's sunshine is once more replaced by telltale droplets on the carriage windows as soon as we get the other side of Shifnal. Nonetheless, the camera does get an airing with this Telford sculptural lettering being an early target.

- The Grazing Cow -
To be fair, the rain on this occasion was light and inconsequential to begin with and I rather enjoyed my walk out to Lawley. The village here is the subject of a major development project creating new housing, business and shopping spaces plus schools, play areas and leisure facilities. Already up and running is the Grazing Cow, an example of the modern breed of Marston's pubs aimed at serving new communities.

- Lawley Square -
Also in place is a Morrison's supermarket and next door to this is the Lawley Square shopping parade featuring stores such as Greggs and Barnados along with the local parish council offices. Work is continuing on a bright golden nursery school (due to open in early 2014) whilst some of the planned 3,000 houses are springing up in nearby fields.

- Dawley Bank -
From Lawley Medical Centre I climb Station Road to Dawley Bank, scene of October's deluge and worryingly today's rain is getting noticeably heavier the nearer I get to the top of the hill. The junction with Milners Lane means I can renew my acquaintance with the Beacon chapel and the Bull's Head, but I have to seek refuge in a bus stop to escape the worst of a heavy shower.

- Elephant & Castle, Dawley -
Things seem to have eased off momentarily so I complete my loop of Dawley Bank, spotting the Queens Arms on Bank Road and passing Ladygrove Primary School along Old Office Road. Unfortunately, the rain then returns with a vengeance and I'm absolutely drenched by the time I reach Dawley town centre. A High Street shop doorway gives me just enough dry cover to try a shot of the Elephant & Castle, but that's where the camera action ends as I once more grudgingly concede defeat to the elements. Back to Telford Central then, only this time I might take the hint and steer clear of Shropshire until next spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment