Sunday, March 25

Alvechurch

24th March 2012 and my remarkable sequence of Saturday sunfests continues with a springtime stroll into Worcestershire, making the most of yet more glorious weather...

KINGS NORTON: the day begins in one of my favourite corners of Birmingham as I survey the historic heart of Kings Norton. St Nicholas's Church dominates the scene with its spire visible for miles around, whilst the churchyard also includes the Old Grammar School building that featured on the BBC series Restoration. Exit through the lich gate and you're on the village green with a variety of buildings including the Bulls Head pub and the medieval Saracens Head complex. What a place to start your morning walk!

- The Old Grammar School -

WEST HEATH: I now have a bit more Birmingham to contend with as I head along Rednal Road towards West Heath. A little detour by Vardon Way allows a shot or two of the Kings Oak pub and then I can admire the carpet of daffodils on display at West Heath Park. Across from the park is West Heath Hospital, the wards of which provide sub acute care and rehabilitation, and I achieve a little mission by getting a photo of the Man on the Moon, the landmark pub that overlooks the Redditch Rd/Redhill Rd roundabout.


- The Man on the Moon -

CANAL: Resisting the temptation to explore the Hawkesley estate, I pass Wast Hills Golf Club and the Birmingham City FC training ground to enter into Worcestershire along Wast Hill Lane. I'm keen to pick up the trail of the Worcester & Birmingham Canal, looking for the point where it emerges from Wast Hill tunnel. I'd seen the tunnel at the northern end by Shannon Road previously so it was great to see the southern portal, the canal arriving into a shaded cutting and then curving around towards Hopwood. The Hopwood House Inn briefly catches my eye but I stick with the towpath, passing Lower Bittell Reservoir and then burrowing beneath the M42. I soon reach the outskirts of Alvechurch where I'm treated to the majestic sight of a swan in full flight. Counting down the bridges, the Crown pub looks enticing at Withybed Green so a mental note is made for future reference.


- Wast Hill Tunnel -

THE WEIGHBRIDGE: I didn't have to wait long for my pub experience of the day though as one bridge further on brings me to the Weighbridge, neatly located alongside Alvechurch Marina. The building used to be the weighbridge office associated with the canal and only became a pub about ten years ago but has quickly won itself several awards from the Redditch & Bromsgrove branch of CAMRA. My expectations were high as I stepped inside but I immediately liked the characterful interior with three nice little rooms looking very cosy. The beer choice gives me a real dilemma because there are several tempting local ales - I eventually decide on some Fruiterers Mild from Cannon Royall (based in Uphampton near Droitwich) and follow this with some Bargees Bitter from Kinver, both excellent. I'd caught the sun a little bit so thought it best to sit indoors, but there are patio, marquee and beer garden options outside that were very much proving popular on this occasion. A cracking find that I would definitely recommend.


- The Weighbridge -

ALVECHURCH STATION: Ale quaffed, I have a quick peek at the marina and then head across to the railway station which is a stone's throw further down the road. Served by the half-hourly Cross City connection to and from Redditch, the station is essentially an unstaffed halt with a single platform and no defining features. It was useful to have a look around and check the train times but otherwise the station wasn't remotely memorable.


ALVECHURCH: thankfully Alvechurch village was far more rewarding with plenty of fascinating photo targets to work with. First up is St Laurence's, the historic parish church possibly founded by the Saxon lady Aelgiva in providing the village with its very name. The village green contains a memorial stone and a flagpole whilst Bear Hill also offers the village hall and the post office. Arriving onto The Square, a pretty selection of half-timbered houses dotted about includes a family butchers, an insurance company and the Tudor Rose Fish Bar. Swan Street and Red Lion Street hint at the names of the local pubs whilst the 146 bus provides a bonus photo as it makes its way to Birmingham. My closing treat is some lunch in the churchyard, relishing the sense of tranquility and listening to a beautiful chorus of birdsong, a lovely memory on which to finish.


- Alvechurch Architecture -

Back to the station then and the 14:32 train gets me back to Brum despite a lengthy hold-up in Kings Norton, so I arrive back home just in time to find that Wolves are losing yet again. Never mind, it had still been a delightful day out to rank alongside my recent adventures in Lapley, Bobbington and the like. I really have been blessed with the weather lately, and I can't quite believe I've gone through a whole winter of exploration without seeing a drop of rain. Perhaps the changing of the clocks will bring about a turn in the meteorology, but at least I've made the most of the conditions thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment