Tuesday, January 31

Down Staffordshire Way

Saturday 28th January 2012: The 88 bus route and the Staffordshire Way long distance footpath provided the foundations for a day spent sampling South Staffordshire at its finest…

The 88 and 88A: These Arriva routes took over some months ago from the former 880 service which had been operated by Midland. Linking Wolverhampton and Stafford via either Perton or Brewood, the route offered intriguing connections that I was keen to explore, so at 10:06 I joined the 88A outside the Polish Catholic Church on Stafford Road. The ride was scenic and relaxing, passing through Coven, Brewood and Bishops Wood before the bus filled up with passengers at Wheaton Aston. The next village along was my cue to alight…

Lapley: and what a place to start! The bus dropped me off directly outside the Vaughan Arms, a handsome old village inn that has sadly closed down, probably for good. The little village green was just opposite, complete with old-fashioned red telephone box and a black and white finger post sign. Walking along the country lanes I hear a cockerel crowing in a nearby farm, and then I savour the scene at All Saints Churchyard where the crisp winter sunshine gave the historic church a wonderful golden hue, the very definition of a picture postcard setting.

- All Saints Church, Lapley -

Shropshire Union Canal: putting my Staffordshire Way guidebook to good use, I venture down through the grounds of Lapley Wood Farm and onto the towpath of the Shropshire Union Canal at Bridge 17. Admittedly it was very muddy as I squelched along, but the smoky sights and smells of moored-up narrowboats with chimneys in steam was very much worth witnessing. Bridge 18 marks the approach to Wheaton Aston, then Bridge 19 sits alongside the Hartley Arms and the village garage. I exit at Bridge 20 and follow a dirt track round into the local estate.

Wheaton Aston: a village I first visited with Dad nearly four years ago, hasn’t time flown? It’s great to be back adding in some extra photos, so as well as the Hartley Arms and the garage I can also busy myself with shots of the Coach & Horses, a couple of shops and a vintage Green Bus Services bus stop sign.

88A: with my first bit of walking out of the way, it’s back onto the bus for a short ride up through Lapley towards Penkridge. The lanes get particularly narrow near Bickford Grange Farm so high hedges and passing places are the order of the day, and at one point there is a flooded corner to contend with. After a few twists and turns I spot my next target, the bell is pressed and the driver stops obligingly at the end of Bickford Road.

The Swan: a special trip requires a special pub and I’m pleased to say that the Swan at Whiston more than lived up to expectations. The pub is a free house with a strong association with Holden’s Brewery, hence the neat sign proclaiming that Golden Glow was on sale here. Part of the charm is the pub’s seemingly remote location on a country lane with very few houses around – it is very peaceful and I can enjoy the field and farm views sitting in the front window of the bar room. Beer wise the choice was excellent and I opted for some Ay Up from the Dancing Duck Brewery, the pint arriving in immaculate condition.

Whiston Walk: Suitably refreshed I continued with my Staffordshire Way hike, crossing fields and traversing the Whiston Brook. The various farms of Preston provide a glimpse of agriculture in action, and I am teased by views of the railway viaduct and St Michael’s Church on the approach into Penkridge.

Penkridge: all this exercising is a sure-fire way to build up an appetite, so a pit stop at Penkridge means I can keep hunger at bay with a quick sandwich in the memorial gardens. My taste for photos is also suitably sated thanks to a few shots of the church and the railway station.

88: my 14:50 connection towards Codsall arrives and it’s a rollicking good ride charging back through Whiston, Lapley and Wheaton Aston. The lanes really open out beyond Bishops Wood as the bus fairly thunders along, shuddering with every malevolent pothole we encounter.

- The Cross Guns, Codsall Wood -

Codsall Wood: here was another village I’d first explored during a country walk with Dad, and the bus kindly drops me off in perfect position for a look at the Cross Guns. The pub is a fine landmark and came with the added bonus of having the former post office just across the road – I remember an article in the Express & Star when the store was made to close down. Further interest is found courtesy of the Crown pub followed by St Peter’s Church on Whitehouse Lane.

Codsall: The final stretch of an energetic outing takes me across the fields following the old parishioners’ path that was used to connect St Peter’s with the parent church, St Nicholas in Codsall. Some of the views are simply stunning as I climb up the hill passing fishing pools and then Codsall cemetery, the whole way being bathed in glorious afternoon sunshine. From Church Lane I wend my way down to catch the 5 at Codsall terminus and the final act is the serenest of rides back to Wolverhampton. Great winter weather, great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment