Saturday, September 4

Telford 2010

Friday 3rd September, and as we head into autumn, I thought it was about time I did my annual trek around Telford Borough. The Telford trip is usually one of the exploration highlights of the year, and I can recall many happy memories of visiting places such as Dawley, Wellington, Hadley and Horsehay - would this year's effort maintain the standard? Read on to find out...

Oakengates - getting the day off to a flying start with a look at one of the older communities that pre-dated the New Town, I always find places like Oakengates much more interesting than Telford Centre itself. Catching the 8:25 stopping train from Wolverhampton, I arrive about 9am and pitch straight into local photos courtesy of Hartshill Park (with war memorial gates) and the Coalport Tavern. Market Street is the focal point of the small town centre and looks inviting with lots of bunting on display (presumably not for me especially). I gather shots of the library/theatre complex and note an enclave of real ale pubs where the Crown, the Station and the Olde Fighting Cocks are virtually on each others' doorsteps.

24 - Oakengates Bus Station for the 9:30 local 24 bus into Telford Town Centre. This was one route I hadn't actually sampled before, thereby making for an intriguing ride around St George's, Redhill and Priorslee.

Telford Town Park - time for the walking boots to see some action as I begin a flirtation with the Silkin Way. My aim was to retrace my steps from last year's aborted visit to Stirchley, with some photos thrown in of course. Park features include the Maxell Gardens (where a large fish takes pride of place as a flowerbed centrepiece), the amphitheatre and Wonderland (complete with assorted dinosaur roars and dwarf songs drifting on the air). The walk then follows an old railway line out towards Madeley and Ironbridge.

Stirchley - I leave the route at Stirchley Lane to venture into the nearby estate. There are pieces of charm in the old village, including some cottages, St James' Church and the Rose and Crown pub, but this gives over to the more recent residential developments of Grange Avenue. The estate centre comprises the Lord Silkin school, Stirchley Library and a Co-op supermarket.

11 - a quick ride from Holmer Farm Road down into Madeley via Brookside and Sutton Hill.

Madeley - this is one older part of Telford that I hadn't really got to grips with yet, so I was intrigued to see what I would find. There's a nice traditional High Street climbing up the hill with some local stores, and the handful of pubs include the Forester's Arms, the Anchor and the Barley Mow. A new Tesco supermarket and other retail developments have transformed part of the town, but it's pleasing to still find old buildings like the Anstice Memorial Club. Unfortunately the library isn't quite as appealing, located as it is on the upper floor of a 1960s block that also comprises the Madeley Malls shopping arcades.

Silkin Way - on with the trek, rejoining the route at the bridge by the Forester's and soon encountering Madeley Market Station. The station house is still in situ and lends itself to some nice photos from the platform side - I think the building is currently being used as council offices so it's good to see it being retained. The path then flanks Legges Way, heading down to Coalport and passing the entrance to Blists Hill Victorian Museum.

The All Nations - with all this exercise I had worked up quite a thirst, and being a warm day it was necessary to stop off for a little refreshment. Not that I need an excuse to visit the All Nations mind - the pub is a historic home brewhouse, a real gem that has been recognised as Telford CAMRA's 2010 Pub of the Year. The place is a little off the beaten track, approached up a narrow climb along Coalport Road, but is well worth the visit when you can enjoy the secluded surroundings and great beer. I tried the Dabley Ale, sitting outside with a few chickens for company.

- Coalport Bridge -

Coalport - a further stretch on the Silkin Way takes me beneath the famous Hay Inclined Plane and down into Coalport Village. The High Street here wasn't quite what I'd expected, as there are relatively few shops and its more of a tranquil lane. The Shakespeare and the canal bridge are at one end, then I wander up past the China Museum and the Brewery Inn to investigate Coalport Bridge - the structure might not be as historic as it's famous near-neighbour (the Iron Bridge) but it's still an elegant landmark in it's own right. I pause for photos of the Woodbridge then head back through the village for a closer look at the remaining section of canal.

Jackfield - I'm now getting the taste for exploring the Ironbridge Gorge, so its back across the river to see what Jackfield has to offer. The Boat Inn looks very inviting as a cottagey riverside hostelry with flood markings on the external wall,then we have Maws Craft Centre, Jackfield Tile Museum, the old railway sidings and the Black Swan. History seems to await you around every corner here so I'm in my element.

Ironbridge - my criss-crossing of the river continues as I dart back across to the Ironbridge side where more pubs await me. The Bird in Hand nestles perched in the hillside, but it was the Olde Robin Hood that tempted me inside, the allure of the Golden Glow proving just too strong for this weak-willed adventurer. Situated opposite Jackfield Bridge, the pub is something of a Holden's outpost and my visit is further rewarded when I tucked into a delicious home-made sage and black pudding scotch egg - pub snacks don't get better than this! I now feel fortified enough to proceed with my hike, so its onwards into Ironbridge Village itself where I can marvel at the magnificent bridge and survey other landmarks such as the Bears in the Square and the Tontine Hotel.

Coalbrookdale - Adding in shots of the Swan and the Museum of the Gorge, I track down the 77 bus for a handy photo on the visitor centre car park. I've still got time to spare so I summon one last push from my weary feet and set off up the hill to Coalbrookdale. Here, my attention is captured by the war memorial and the Museum of Iron, whilst my pub photo quota is bolstered by the Grove and the Coalbrookdale Inn (the latter colourfully festooned with hanging baskets).

99 - Normally by about 3:30pm I would think about heading home, but there's plenty of life in this trip yet. The next stage is to catch the 99, waiting outside Coalbrookdale Community Centre then enjoying a speedy ride up through Horsehay and Telford then along the M54 towards Wellington.

Bucks Head - Indulging myself by photographing some landmarks that had been long-term targets since my earlier Telford forays. The 99 drops me off by the Cock Hotel (a pub with a fine real ale reputation in it's own right) with the Swan Hotel directly opposite. A little further up the road and we have the Bucks Head, the name referring both to a pub and the football ground home of AFC Telford United. The stadium looks impressive for a non-league club whilst the pub now appears to be some kind of youth cafe facility.

Oakengates - going full circle as the 44 bus (via Ketley) brings me back to where I started. My train home is due at 17:05, so I've just got time to try out the Ironbridge Brewery offerings at the Old Fighting Cocks. My final pint of the day was therefore Steam, accompanied by a quick read of a Peterborough CAMRA newsletter - a good way to finish. The train arrived promptly and wasn't too full, even when a group of forces chaps boarded at Cosford, so I enjoyed a relaxing ride home.

So then, back to my earlier question. Would today's trip live up to the usual Telford standard? The answer undoubtedly has to be yes as I maintained my recent run of outstanding adventures. From Stirchley to Jackfield, the All Nations to the Old Fighting Cocks, the day provided many memorable moments and will surely rank as one of the seminal highlights of the 2010 Explorer's Calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment