Sunday, February 14

A Collision with Cradley

Saturday 13th February, and a mini local outing sees me tackle a circular walk around Cradley, Quarry Bank and Netherend...
  • My starting point is Cradley Heath Station, where I grab a couple of train photos and wonder what I've let myself in for when a sudden snow flurry breezes in.
  • Thankfully the snow didn't last for long, so I walk it up into Quarry Bank undeterred. The Waggon and Horses kickstarts the day's pub photos, and is quickly followed by the White Horse on New Street, a sidestreet pub I'd never noticed before.
  • It had been quite a while since I'd last been to Quarry Bank, and it was nice to catch up with a few old haunts. The community centre is now home to the area's Library Link, with the old library building now being used as a ladies gym and therapy centre. The Labour and Liberal clubs both caught my eye, and the Church Tavern got a quick photo during a rare break in the traffic. One new discovery was Fountain Court, where the old Fountain pub has been converted into residential flats, although I was saddened to find that the old Sun Inn had been demolished.
  • Having explored the High Street, I wander down Park Road and turn my attentions to Stevens Park. The park is a great local facility, looking very inviting as the sun came out. I enjoyed getting photos of a tree-lined avenue and the bandstand, but was frustrated that the war memorial gates were locked so I couldn't get a proper look. I was also intrigued by a notice on the park house which informs users that covenant issues preclude the playing of ball games in the park on a Sunday, what a curious state of affairs that is.
  • From the park I take Dunns Bank and Bobs Coppice Walk down into Netherend, where a stroll along Mogul Lane offers views of the Netherend Square terraces and the old neighbourhood centre.
  • Saltbrook Road next, leading to Hayes Lane where the Old Saltbrook pub looks considerably worse for wear and could be a demolition candidate. I was on the lookout for a place called the Dewfall Arms, and was quite puzzled when I couldn't find it - it was only later that I realised that the Dewfall and the Saltbrook were actually the same building just known under different names over the years. Whilst still contemplating the mystery, I find the Hanson's bus depot for a quick entrance photo - there were a few buses out on the yard, but someone was cleaning them so I declined to investigate further.
  • I then weave my way along Park Lane, investigating the Park Lane Tavern before focusing on a definitive Netherend landmark, the imposing Unitarian Chapel. This historic building has a prominent clock with a church hall next door on Parsonage Drive.
  • With an about turn, I make my way towards the centre of Cradley itself. Long Innage leads me to Barrack Lane, where I acquaint myself with the Widders pub, previously known as the Crown. Slade Road takes me by Homer Hill Park and up to St Peter's Church, an impressive landmark perched on the hill overlooking Colley Lane and the war memorial.
  • Colley Lane was historically Cradley's High Street, and includes the local Liberal Club and branch library, both of which make fine photo targets. I venture down to Colley Gate, where the Chainmaker, Labour Club and the Gate all keep me occupied, and then along to Windmill Hill for another tussle with the Round of Beef.
  • Pressing onwards, Colman Hill and Shelton Lane provide my link to Belle Vale, where I find that the Shelton Inn has closed down and is now being renovated as a private residence. A couple of adorable little ponies keep me company whilst I zoom a shot or two of the building works, and then I have the ominous challenge of climbing my way back up Shelton Lane - it suddenly seems much steeper than I'd noticed on the way down!
  • The next area of Cradley for me to explore is Overend, beginning with Banner's Lane where the Black Horse pub as was seems to be long gone. The landscape here is changing considerably, with Taylor Wimpey busy constructing the Henley Grange housing development on an old industrial site. I have a quick look along Overend Road before Butchers Lane returns me to Colley Lane and my loop is almost complete.
  • The final leg of my walk sees me investigate Cradley Road, sneaking a view of the Wizard and Glass pub as I cross back into Sandwell territory. The trip goes full circle as I arrive back at Cradley Heath Station, and there's just time for another 99 bus to defy me with its digital blind before I catch my train back home.
What a walk that was, delving into some Black Country history and gaining a much better appreciation of an area I'd visited only fleetingly before. The outing had a more intimate feel, building up a picture of a particular series of communities, and I hope to do similar 'very local' wanderings in future to compliment my more far-flung adventures. Finally, a quick acknowledgement to close with. My walk was inspired by the Cradley Links websites - the original at www.cradleylinks.com and its successor at www.cradleylinks.co.uk - and I recommend both if you want to find out more about some of the places I've mentioned.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Billy,

    What a great find your blog on Wolverhampton is, exceeded only by the story of your visit to my beloved home town of Cradley. I'm really pleased to see that my Cradley Links web sites inspired you to make this journey into the dark region.

    See you around,

    Nigel (Brown)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nigel,

    I think you might possibly have mistaken me for Billy Howe and his excellent Lost Wolverhampton website, but even so I'm pleased you enjoyed my account from Saturday's visit to Cradley.

    The Cradley Links websites both proved fascinating when researching the area and plotting my route for the day, so ta very much!

    Kind regards,
    Paul (West Midlands Exploration)

    ReplyDelete