Sunday, March 9

A Woodside Paradise

With a post headline like that, I could tempt you with lyrical visions of an idyllic woodland scene, complete with frolicking lambs and stately deer. However, this is WME we're talking about, so I am of course referring to my latest outing, whereby I not only discovered that Paradise exists, but that it exists in Dudley!!

I was on the loose in Dudley as part of a mission to explore some local bus routes before the results of the network review kick in come April. Beginning in Bilston with a quick visit to Hickman Park, I then caught the 223 down to Gornal Wood, an intriguing ride through Lanesfield, Woodcross and the Beacon Hill estate. I've always liked Gornal, and busied myself taking photos of proper pubs such as the Olde Bulls Head, the Fountain and the Black Bear, before investigating the newish estate at Milking Bank (including Aintree Way and the Meadowlark).

The 257 took me into Dudley, from where I sought out the 225 for a look around the Uplands Estate and Warrens Hall. Alighting on Buffery Road, I entered Paradise - a little local neighbourhood centred around Buffery Park. The park looked a picture, carpeted with daffodils, with the nearby Struggling Man pub adding to my photo haul. Its not every day you can say you've been to Paradise...

Sadly, my stay in Paradise was only brief, as I couldn't allow myself to be distracted from my ultimate mission. I hiked it back up into Dudley, then caught the 264 into Woodside in the hope of visiting the local library. Alighting on Holly Hall Road, I found myself at another kind of heaven - Parkhead Locks, a must-visit part of the BCN network. With three bridges side by side, a couple of locks and a portal into the Dudley Tunnel, there was plenty to investigate and I thoroughly relished the challenge. It was a great little intro to the location, and I will undoubtedly be back to explore more of the locks and the junction of the two Dudley Canals.

Next up, I ventured into Woodside itself, starting with a look at the Crown pub before finding more daffodils in Woodside Park. I then satisfied my curiosity with a visit to Woodside Library - the library is set to be another casualty of the Dudley Council axe, which seems a really sad end for a fine community facility housed in a historic old building. Having previously visited the threatened branches at Quarry Bank, Wall Heath, Amblecote and Dudley Wood, I have to say the demise of Woodside seems particularly poignant given the sense of tradition the building evokes - it really is such a shame.

On a brighter note, my explorations continued with a look at Holly Hall News and the nearby Hanson's pub (The Old Coach and Horses?), before heading back through the park to rejoin the 264. The route is due to be withdrawn, so I was keen to do the loop whilst I still could, and was rewarded with a ride that mixed old haunts like Ashwood Park and Kingswinford with glimpses of future possibilities such as Hawbush and Bromley. Heading through Pensnett the bus became besieged by schoolkids, but with a ride up Ashenhurst Road I soon got back to Dudley in time for a 558 back to Wolverhampton.

I've done plenty of Dudley area explorations over the years, but this one seemed different in that I explored more of Dudley Town itself rather than the Stourbridge or Halesowen side of things. I enjoyed redressing that particular balance, and with a few more endangered routes to investigate, I might well be back - Paradise beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment