Sunday, June 26

A Codsall Collection

Friday 24th June should have been a day spent at the Stratford-upon-Avon Beer Festival with Nick, but the train strikes meant a jaunt across to Shakespeare Country wasn't really viable. Instead I sought out a few ales closer to home by visiting the South Staffordshire village of Codsall...

- No trains here -
My plan is a simple one: catch the bus across to Codsall, have a little stroll around and then see what the various pubs have to offer. The 10B is therefore on time from Compton at 9:44 for a ride via Tettenhall Wood, Perton and Heath House Lane, dropping me off at the Bakers Way terminus. My walk encompasses Wood Road, Chillington Lane (past Nursery Farm) and the old parish path - somewhat overgrown these days - that leads back up to St Nicholas's Church. A handful of pictures along Sandy Lane precede a pit stop at the deserted railway station where an apologetic scrolling display tells me that there are no trains until Sunday because of the industrial action situation. 

- First port of call is... -
The Station: being on the platform means I'm ideally placed for my opening pub, which just so happens to be based in Codsall's former railway house. The Station is operated by Holden's with many of their core beers available (Black Country Bitter, Special and Golden Glow) albeit I'm drawn towards the Hartlebury 'Bitter Strikes Back' guest ale, 3.8% abv and rather moreish. As you might expect, there are plenty of railway artefacts dotted around including a weigh bridge hut on the car park and some signalling equipment; anyone looking to park their car is warned that they need to leave enough room for the dray deliveries. A read of the newspaper and occasional cricket score checks helps me pass a very pleasant hour of quality quaffing. 

- Beer Garden Banks's -
The Bull: next up is a longstanding Banks's favourite in the very heart of Codsall, the Bull having stood in The Square for many a long year. I might have missed the dining rush at the Station but here there's no escaping the mass of retired folks all seeking keenly-priced grub. The traditional bar corner has its fair share of old boys staring into space while a rabble of hi-vis builder types are enjoying knocking off for the afternoon. I take my pint of Amber on a tour of the well-presented beer garden, ducking through pergola arches and plodding along pink gravel pathways. This would be a real suntrap should the weather oblige with brighter skies but it makes for a nice setting regardless with bees buzzing on the breeze. 

- The Crown Joule's -
The Crown: diagonally opposite the Bull and still very much right at the heart of the village, the Crown (Joule's) is usually my Codsall mainstay if I fancy a solo pint when in the vicinity. I'm more than happy to maintain that position today, nipping inside for a glass of Joule's Mild which is not an ale I've personally encountered before; the more familiar combinations of Slumbering Monk, Joule's Pale and Blonde are available along with Green Monkey lager. From what I can gather, the pub has a long history as a coaching inn but had suffered a decline in fortunes prior to Joule's taking it over. The Market Drayton-based brewery have applied their usual breweriana stylings, creating an effective library/gentleman's club vibe through a prevalence of timbers, nicknacks and mentions of happy pigs.

- Love & Liquor -
Love & Liquor: the newest arrival to Codsall's cask scene is a smart micropub based in an ex-tearoom shopfront between Lloyd's Chemists and the Nationwide building society branch. It's location on The Square means that you have this, the Bull and the Crown literally within yards of each other - pub heaven! In the interests of full disclosure, I took the picture above during my initial morning wander (hence the shutters being down) but it was fully up and running by 2pm with pavement seating for a spot of almost-continental cafe culture. A tight ale range includes representation from Salopian, Wye Valley, Ludlow and Enville - all breweries I rate highly - but it's the Enville Ale that wins out this time around, accompanied by a hefty cob. Considering the place has only been in existence for two and a half years, its a mighty fine achievement for them to be Wolverhampton CAMRA's South Staffordshire Pub of the Year 2022 - I'm very impressed, even if England's lame batting threatens to darken my mood. 

- Cricket at the Claregate -
The Claregate: I depart Love & Liquor with the cricket score on 55 for 6 in order to intercept a number 5 bus back towards Wolverhampton. Codsall has certainly compensated for missing out on the beer festival and I still have time to squeeze in one more stop on the way home. Cue the Claregate, a suburban Marston's roadhouse which older readers might remember being called the Fieldhouse. A Generous George makeover and the construction of a Tesco Express on the car park haven't totally detracted from what remains a community boozer at heart; I'm undecided as to whether I approve of the trendified fixtures and fittings but if I can watch the cricket I'm usually happy. Jonny Bairstow and Jamie Overton are sowing the seeds of what will be a spectacular partnership so things are looking up, and the Amber goes down nicely too. For a trip plucked out of the contingency basket it's all gone rather well - cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Usual array of classic boozers WME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beermat, yes there's certainly a lot of quality in Codsall and I didn't even visit the Firs Club on this occasion! Cheers, Paul

      Delete