Sunday, January 25

The Solihull Network Review

Coventry was first, then it was Dudley, and now it is Solihull's turn to be subjected to a review of its local bus network. From today, an array of service changes come into force that will see the creation of intriguing new routes (some with an 'S' prefix so as to develop a local identity), whilst some familiar old routes have now been consigned to history. I have done a couple of recent outings in order to record the old network - these will be the subject of separate postings, but first I wanted the chance to reflect on my previous experiences of Solihull buses over the years.

I must admit that my visits to Solihull have always been few and far between, but their rarity provided that extra edge of excitement, with the anticipation of making new discoveries and exploring further corners of the West Midlands proving very enticing. As such, I have built up a great deal of affection for the area, and for the bus routes that provided the gateway to this new frontier.
  • My first Solihull route was the 37, catching it from Acocks Green Village with Rog for a glimpse of Olton Station. The 37 will remain a centrepiece route for the Solihull area and is set to have its frequency increased.
  • We followed the 37 with a ride on the 69, a route that quickly became a personal favourite. We initially covered the section out to Weoley Castle, providing the glimpses of Shirley, Maypole, Kings Heath and Selly Oak that provided the inspiration for many subsequent outings.
  • The 69 is long enough even now, but back then it continued beyond Solihull and up to the Heartlands Hospital (a section that later became the 169 route). I did try out the Heartlands end of the 69 once, but wasn't that keen on it - the bits around Sheldon, Garretts Green and Yardley were interesting but I found the Bordesley Green terminus quite depressing. Both 69 and 169 are being retained, although the 69 is subject to route changes in the Yardley Wood area.
  • Another long-distance favourite of mine is the 49, which has provided many happy memories of exploring the likes of Longbridge, West Heath, Kings Norton and Pool Farm. The route will continue to link Solihull and Northfield, with hopefully many more memories still to come.
  • The service changes mainly affect the more local Solihull services, including the 73a and 76 serving Damsonwood. I recall the 73a during Pete's Travel days, a bright yellow bus providing a quick shuttle up to the Old Colonial. As for the 76, I remember it as the A6, taking photos by the trees at Damsonwood and at the turning circle down by Pool Farm shops. Damsonwood will now be covered by the S11 route, whilst the 76 is also trimmed back in Brum with a new 85 route set to cover between Kings Heath and Pool Farm.
  • Another key Solihull local set to get a makeover is the 40A/C circular. Just the mention of the route evokes memories of visits to Dorridge, exploring the station and calling in at the Forest hotel for a quick drink. Widney Manor and Dorridge will now be served by the S2 (providing links to Olton and Balsall Common), whilst Knowle and Dorridge will feature on the new S3 route linking Acocks Green and Hockley Heath.
  • Thinking of my first visit to Dorridge reminds me of what preceded it, namely a ride on the 192. Rog and I caught the route at Tile Hill for a tour of the Heart of England (Balsall Common, Meriden and Hampton-in-Arden) - now that's what I call a proper bus journey! The 192 worked in tandem with the 194 to provide links to Coventry, a baton that is now set to be taken up by extending Travel Coventry's local route 19 beyond Tile Hill and Canley. The enhanced frequency the revised route will offer is to be applauded and welcomed, but somewhat perversely I might just miss the haphazard uncertainty that was inherent in the 192/194 timetable.
  • The changes in the Heart of England mean its also the end of the road for the 197, a friendly little route that will be fondly remembered for a visit with Rog to Balsall Common and Berkswell Station.
  • And finally, its worth noting that there have been changes before and will be again in the future. I particularly recall one outing I did in August 2005 that was dedicated to capturing Solihull routes that were about to change back then. These included the old 41 from Birmingham to Solihull (via Sparkbrook, Hall Green, Gospel Oak and Streetsbrook Road), and the 42 to The Baldwin via a circuit of Sheldon, Yardley and Acocks Green (I especially recall the effort it took to get a photo at the Baldwin terminus). Both were cracking routes and their legacy lives on in the rather bizarre current 41 route, which will continue to provide a long loop linking Hall Green with... Hall Green!!
So there you have a few personal reflections on my experiences exploring Solihull's bus network as it was. Obviously, the changes affect more routes than are listed above - some of the services I've omitted will feature in my forthcoming posts detailing my last-minute efforts to record the old network, and as for the rest, well they managed to elude this particular explorer. It just goes to show that I can't cover everything! Whilst I will miss many of the routes I've described, I am excited about the possibilites the new network offers for future exploration, and I'm looking forward to getting my first photos of the new routes. Please feel free to offer your own thoughts and memories of bus routes in Solihull.

No comments:

Post a Comment