Sunday, January 25

The Solihull Network Farewell - Part One

With the changes arising from the Solihull Network Review fast approaching, it was time for me to spring into action and sample the old routes whilst I still could. A brace of outings took place as a result, the first of which saw me investigating Acocks Green and Olton on Saturday 17th January...
  • The 4 - what a way to start! The route has been a long-term target of mine and it didn't disappoint, providing a lovely quiet ride with plenty of ideas for further investigation. Catching the bus on Corporation Street, the route heads out of Birmingham via Digbeth and Camp Hill before tackling the delights of Sparkbrook on the Stratford Road. Next is Sparkhill, where the baths, library and local park all looked like good photo targets, then it was through Springfield and into Hall Green passing Sarehole Mill and The Baldwin. After negotiating Shirley, it was off through the estates to Cheswick Green where the Cheswick Green Inn and the Saxon pub both looked appealing. The final leg into Solihull involved a look at Widney Lane Island and a run past Widney Manor Station - very tantalising. The route is due to vanish with the new changes, so I'm delighted to have done it justice. I think the 5 is being upgraded as a replacement, with some sections to be covered by the new S4 local route.

  • Malvern Park - the 4 dropped me off by St Alphege's Church, from where it was a short walk down into Malvern Park to get the day's photos off to a flier. Even in January the park looked well maintained and neat, lending itself to some nice views through the trees.

  • The 30 - Another classic Solihull route that I'd never got around to exploring before, the 30 linked the town with Acocks Green and Olton. I was delighted to find that the usual Metrobus was in attendance, and again I enjoyed a very quiet, peaceful ride with hardly any other passengers on board. The highlights of the route included views of Olton Friary (I never knew this existed!), Olton Station, and a ride along Lincoln Road on the approach to Acocks Green, passing the Lincoln Poacher and crossing the Grand Union Canal - plenty of food for thought there. Under the review, the 30 is set to be replaced by the new S3 linking Acocks Green and Hockley Heath.

  • Acocks Green - whilst my focus for the day was on buses, I took the chance to get a few local photos as well. Amongst my targets were the Inn on the Green pub, the local library with war memorial, and the Great Western pub up by the railway station as I set off in search of the canal. Thoroughly enjoyable stuff adding a bit of Brum flavour to the day's proceedings.

  • Grand Union Canal - a bit more of a break from the buses next, as I couldn't resist a little bit of canal exploration. After a detour up a couple of random sidestreets, I finally tracked down the Grand Union at Yardley Road and squelched my way along into Olton. Woodcock Lane Bridge was a surprising discovery, as for some reason I wasn't particularly expecting to find a nice traditional canal bridge still in place along here. Lincoln Road Bridge was somewhat uglier, and after a brief dash to investigate the Lincoln Poacher pub more closely, I arrived at Richmond Road Bridge where I left the canal with Olton beckoning.

  • Olton - a bit of local Solihull exploring now, popping into the local library and getting a few shots of the front of Olton Station. I didn't venture into the station though, preferring to keep that particular treat for another day. There is a little bus interchange outside which makes for a nice photo location, with the 671 doing the honours by arriving right on cue for a few layover shots - perfect!

  • The 671 - having got my photos I hopped on board for a somewhat twisting Optare Solo ride back to Solihull, doing the rounds of the local estates via Bryanston Road, Woodlea Drive, Blenheim Road and Widney Lane. As such, the 671 was a good example of a local minibus route plugging the gaps between other services and developing a sense of community in the process. The route is not set for a direct replacement but should be covered by a combination of the S2, S3 and S11.

  • The 40C - the 40A/C circulars have a special place in my heart thanks to visits to Dorridge over the years, so it was only fitting that I should say goodbye properly. The 40C did the trick today, providing a nice run down to Dorridge complete with bonus photos at Knowle whilst the driver had a quick cigarette break!

  • Dorridge - I just had time for a final bit of indulgence in the form of a few photos around Dorridge. The Forest Hotel received its usual bit of camera attention, whilst I also got shots of the local shops and even tracked down the Solihull mobile library - there's no escape!! It was then left to my old friend Dorridge Station to bring down the curtain for this outing, although I hadn't quite finished with the network farewells just yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment