Sunday, May 5

An Early May Medley

After my varied April assortments, I now bring you a May montage being as the new month has already yielded a couple of local investigations - nothing too exciting, just solid exploring you understand with a focus on scrumptious cobs...

- Vine Sustenance -
Speaking of which, I must draw your attention to this mighty fine example which I procured from the Vine in Wednesfield on Friday 3rd May. A slab of cheese, your standard red onion and a generous side portion of black pudding rounds all matched with a crusty roll. As is often the case at the Vine, the cask ale was excellent too - I sampled both the Green Duck 'Murder She Oat' (a great name) and Mallinson's 'Jester', as fresh as you could wish for. Visiting duties at nearby New Cross Hospital meant I wasn't inclined to get too adventurous but chips with Mr B and a Cricket Club Quiz at Tettenhall made for a memorable evening; alas Team Bears finished a narrow second after an unfortunate wipeout involving Ursula von der Leyen!

- 172218 at Stourbridge Junction -
Merrily I'll hop forward a few hours into Saturday 4th May 2024 and a Stourbridge area outing with a penchant for Pedmore. Catching the train down from Smethwick Galton Bridge, I keep my eyes peeled for any sightings of George the Cat but he doesn't appear to be on desk duty. The platform is however populated by several anxious-looking Bluenoses nervously awaiting  their connection to St Andrews for the pivotal match against Norwich; sadly despite winning, Blues will be playing League One football next season. A handful of Class 172 train pictures get my camera into gear and then it's time for me to start walking...

- Pedmore High School -
Grange Road (past the Handy DIY store) and Grange Lane combine to lead me into Pedmore, a leafy district directly south-east of Stourbridge town centre. It's been a few years since I was last in this neck of the woods so it's good to get to grips with features such as the local High School (part of the Invictus Education Trust), not forgetting Ham Dingle Primary Academy. Pedmore forms the edges of the West Midlands before you reach Hagley and Worcestershire, with tempting footpaths across towards Wychbury Hill and its famous obelisk. The mysterious case of 'Who Put Bella In The Wych Elm' remains unsolved, referencing the 1940s discovery of a woman's dead body in nearby woodland. 

- Pointing to Pedmore -
Hoping to avoid any such grisly discoveries myself, I continue through Stourbridge suburbia for housing estate glimpses involving Old Ham Lane, Beckman Road and Pedmore Lane. The Saturday morning weather is much brighter than was originally forecast so I'm in my element, noting Ham Dingle's secluded trackways stretching off towards Wollescote or eyeing up any lingering bits of springtime blossom. Swindell Road offers a streetscape of tidy bungalows before the number 7 bus trundles past en route to Lye Cross and Dudley.

- St Peter's Church -
Further along Pedmore Lane is St Peter's Parish Church, a Grade II listed place of worship which is mostly C19th having been consecrated in 1871. The current building replaced an earlier church and there are still some intact aspects of Norman architecture, most notably a decorative semi-circular tympanum set into the stonework above the south doorway. Fluttering bunting brightens up the churchyard and I'm enchanted by the neighbouring cricket field which has its own gate in the perimeter wall. Pedmore Cricket Club currently play in the top division of the Worcestershire County League; their main access is off Pedmore Hall Lane.

- Ember Expectations at the Foley Arms -
In terms of pub possibilities, Pedmore's principal option is the Foley Arms overlooking the Hagley Road roundabout. An Ember Inns establishment, it is tastefully furnished and offers a decent range of cask ales from which I select Wiper & True's naturally hazy Kaleidoscope for a tangy taste of the tropics. Salopian and Timothy Taylor wares are also available while soft lighting plus toffee-toned seating adds a mellow upmarket ambience to proceedings. I can't deny I usually prefer more traditional pub settings but this is very acceptable indeed, and I've got my eye on a Bathams classic just down the road anyway.

- A Seven Stars Cob Specimen -
The Bird in Hand is the place in question, giving me an Oldswinford fix of my favourite Best Bitter beneath strung-out rows of Black Country chain flags. An Absolute Radio 1980s playlist has a Duran Duran fixation while the regulars include a group of cycling enthusiasts seeking refreshment after a lengthy bike ride. From here I'll wend my way back to Stourbridge Junction railway station, permitting myself just enough time for the Seven Stars (Black Country Ales) at the bottom of the station driveway. Homegrown Brummie whets my whistle as a vegan-friendly gluten free tipple but arguably gets upstaged by another example of cob excellence: ladies and gentlemen, I give you plentifully-filled egg mayonnaise and bacon deliciousness. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment