Sunday, March 19

A Stafford Spectacular: 2023

'March Means Stafford' doesn't really have the ring of a good slogan but it is one of the unwritten rules underpinning my springtime explorations each year. Doxey helped me to re-establish my annual sequence in 2022 so now it is Beaconside's turn to bask in the county town spotlight...

- Platform Six -
Trip Log: Saturday 18th March 2023 and this will be my fifth Stafford Spectacular all told, adding to a series that began back in 2018. I need to be mindful that it is a strike day on the railways so I could experience some travel disruption, and it's noticeable that Wolverhampton Station is much quieter than it would normally be on a matchday morning. Nevertheless, the 10:18 towards Manchester Piccadilly is running according to its revised timetable so I gather photos of bay platform 6 before hopping aboard. Stafford is only ten minutes ride away and I'm soon reacquainting myself with the terraced backstreets of Castle Town near Doxey Road.

- The Isabel Trail -
My first main task is to pick up on one of last year's key Stafford discoveries, namely the Isabel Trail walkway and cycle path which follows the course of a disused rail line that once went to Uttoxeter. The section from Doxey Road to Beaconside is just under two miles long and offers views across part of the Doxey Marshes Nature Reserve (a wetland habitat noted for its lapwing, snipe and redshank populations). The trail passes in turn beneath Eccleshall Road, Stone Road and Common Road before flanking the Astonfields Industrial Estate near two balancing lakes that play a role in local flood alleviation practices. 

- Beacon Barracks -
The trail terminates at a fenced-off bridge just shy of the A513 amidst warnings to beware of falling masonry. Plotting my way through adjacent estates either side of Sandon Road, I reach the Beacon Barracks Ministry of Defence base which was known as RAF Stafford until 2006. The ongoing military presence here is evidenced by having a Harrier GR3 aircraft acting as its 'gate guardian' while the barracks now hosts the Royal Corps of Signals (1st, 16th and 22nd Regiments). Photography is not permitted on-site so I focus on the nearby bus turning circle, complete with a tatty shelter and some very old-fashioned wooden bench seating. 

- Posh Wash -
Hoping not to incur the wrath of any Sergeant Majors, I backtrack via Coronation Road to see what Charnley Road has to offer - cue pictures of P.G. Stores and the Posh Wash Laundrette. Charnley Playing Fields is close at hand with several football pitches, a hard court and a row of changing room cubicles, then I look out over the sizeable expanse that comprises Coton Fields Allotments. Apparently these allotments have been in existence since King John gave a Royal Charter to his Burgesses of Stafford in 1206, and the land has been used to grow food for their families ever since. Cambridge Street connects me onto Corporation Street as I home in on the town centre and my first pub of the day. 

- The Shrewsbury Arms -
I've earmarked a personal favourite of mine to claim opening pint honours on this occasion and the Shrewsbury Arms does not let me down. Black Country Ales have done a fine job of maintaining a pleasing sense of tradition here even if the eclectic clock collection of previous ownership has been sacrificed in the process. A choice between two tempting darker tipples sees Titanic Cherry Porter winning out over the Lenton Lane Twist & Stout (a very close call) as I position myself in the far snug to admire a well-stocked mantelpiece and the patterned carpet. Over the road is the William Salt Library, an important collection of books, pamphlets and historical materials amassed by a noteworthy London banker. 

- Anchors Aweigh -
That initial taste of Titanic has whetted my appetite for more of Burslem's finest ales so it's the easiest of decisions to call into the Sun Inn, the brewery's own pub on Lichfield Road close to the Queensway roundabout. Anchor has been a fixture of Titanic's core range since their 1985 inception and proves very enjoyable as a 4.1% standard bitter, although it is unusual for me not to succumb to the ever-dependable Plum Porter. The same run of frontages is also home to the Ship Aground, one of Stafford's newest drinking venues which first started trading last year. Eight craft beer taps are joined by two cask contenders whereby I opt for the Pentrich Raspberry Ripple Stout, parking myself on a tall stool whilst keeping abreast of sports scores.

- The Bird in Hand -
Wolves appear to be having a tough time in their home match versus Leeds and any hope that me changing my location might suddenly improve their fortunes is merely wishful thinking. I am however still pleased to call in on my second Black Country Ales boozer of the trip, the Bird in Hand by St Mary's Church which surprisingly I'd never set foot in before. Salopian's The Whole Truth is a tropically-tinged flavourful IPA that brings my quaffing to a suitably high class conclusion, and the pub is certainly popular with a wide range of punters generating a lively afternoon atmosphere. As yet another Leeds goal goes in, I call it quits and set about catching my train home already planning potential Stafford exploits for 2024. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Only 4 pubs in Stafford ? What commendable restraint ! I enjoyed the Ship Aground too, but the real take-home was the variability of the Black Country pubs. Had great beer (Brew XI !) in the Shrewsbury one year, then poor stuff the next. Reverse was true in the Bird in Hand. BCA have too many pumps on, but their pubs are often winners. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin - it was certainly tempting to do more, especially with old favourites such as the Greyhound and the Railway to consider, so I'm not sure what came over me! The Ship Aground is a good addition to the scene if quiet at the time of my visit; definitely agree as regards Black Country Ales pump fixation although the quality was good on this occasion. Cheers, Paul

      Delete