Sunday, March 5

A Date With Dorridge

The weekend skies may be as overcast as they come but I'm still intent on staging a Saturday swoop upon the Solihull Metropolitan Borough area. Dorridge has been designated as my principal destination so let's see how the day unfolds...

- Dorridge Arrival -
Saturday 4th March 2023 dawns without the slightest speck of sunshine so I have slate grey skies to contend with on my walk into Wolverhampton. The 10:18 local stopper gets things underway, changing at Smethwick Galton Bridge onto the 10:46 departure for Stratford upon Avon, meaning I reach Dorridge at about twenty past eleven to be greeted by a selection of Chiltern Railways running-in boards. Dorridge Station first opened in 1852 and has long been one of my personal favourites due to retaining much of its Great Western Railway character; an Espresso coffee shop now occupies one wing of the main station frontage. 

- St Philip's Church -
Getting stuck into some local exploration, I eye up the Station Approach shopping parade with units for solicitors, beauticians and the Dorridge Fish Bar. Manor Road then introduces me to St Philip's Church and Community Centre (totally rebuilt in recent years thanks to a successful fundraising campaign) followed by Conker Lane, a leafy little cut-through that is closed to vehicular traffic. By and by I emerge onto Four Ashes Road opposite the driveway for the Solihull Riding Club and Hogarths Hotel, both of which look rather exclusive. 

- The Drum & Monkey -
Still on Four Ashes Road if not perhaps quite as fancy as its near neighbours, the Drum & Monkey is nevertheless a reasonably upmarket dining pub which serves the community of Bentley Heath. Part of Greene King's Chef & Brewer chain, it is naturally geared up for food service but I can happily sit at the bar end of proceedings with a decent if unspectacular pint of Abbot Ale. The lunchtime news headlines are on the big screen although my attention is focused on a copy of 'Solihull Drinker', the local CAMRA branch newsletter. 

- Bentley Heath Footbridge -
Elsewhere in Bentley Heath, I reacquaint myself with the distinctive level crossing just as its barriers sound to herald the imminent appearance of a Chiltern Class 68 locomotive. Standing on the traditional lattice footbridge is quite a thrill as No. 68013 'Peter Wreford-Bush' trundles through, especially as the scene has changed relatively little over the last few decades. Mill Lane has railway cottages and then the Dorridge Methodist Church before I continue towards Knowle, utilising Station Road past the Arden Academy School. 

- Inside Oktogon -
Knowle is an attractive village I've visited several times previously, whereby Nick and I have eagerly enjoyed sampling hostelries such as the Red Lion or the Ale Rooms. Today's target is something slightly different in that Oktogon refers to itself as a Scandinavian Cafe Bar, hidden away down a gated passage near Bonhams Auctioneers. Bracing myself for high craft beer prices, I partake of the Bristol Beer Factory Milk Stout as a special treat and then position myself up on the mezzanine level where the bench tables are draped with furry rugs. I'm hardly an expert in Nordic charm but I do like the relaxed sense of style here, and they concentrate on handslung pizzas as the basis of their food menu. 

- Nearing my Forest finale -
After Oktogon I retrace my steps back along Station Road into Dorridge, debating whether a cheeky pint in Knowle & Dorridge Cricket Club might be permissible. That idea is shelved due to news of train cancellations but I am able to nip into the Forest Hotel directly opposite the railway station instead. I have a history of gatecrashing wedding celebrations here but there aren't any nuptials on this occasion, hence I can steadily sup my pint of Green Duck Blonde without fear of becoming an accidental interloper. The ale is on very good form and I'm almost tempted by a follow-up Silhill North Star Porter but alas the 14:55 to Moor Street is due. All things considered, the drab weather did not stop Dorridge from delivering - cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment