Sunday, January 22

The Penkhull Pub Parade

High on a ridge above Stoke town centre, Penkhull is a settlement that can trace its history back across four thousand years and which featured in the Domesday Book. I've never been there before, so when a free Friday presented itself I made haste for The Potteries to see what kind of pub discoveries might await me...

- Penkhull Schools -
It's Friday 20th January 2023 and there are cloudless skies as I catch the 12:19 Manchester train out from Wolverhampton. Upon arrival at Stoke-on-Trent, I tiptoe my way along Shelton Old Road (past the Minton Hollins tileworks offices) and then join Honeywall, gradually rising up the hill among a mixture of tower block accommodation and older terraced properties. My eyes are peeled for notable landmarks whereby the White Lion makes a quick impression as an ex-Ansells boozer that's been converted into flats. It however soon gets upstaged by the sight of Penkhull Board Schools, a Victorian-era educational edifice with moulded stone friezes and red brick aplenty. Alas the building is boarded up, its car park used as a contractors compound while the old railings rust away.

- Marquis of Granby -
St Thomas Place brings me to my first watering hole of the afternoon, namely the Marquis of Granby. This is a handsome inn that's been under Marston's stewardship for many years and takes its name from John Manners, a distinguished 18th century army officer who served in the Seven Years War. The smart frontage is matched by a comfortable interior with dangly industrial light fittings and a Just Eat operation. I requisition an opening pint of Pedigree and take up a perch in the vaults where someone's pet pooch is stealing the show, lapping up being fussed by all of the regulars. Hobgoblin Ruby is the other ale on sale and there's a healthy turnout of Friday lunchtime patronage - a great start!

- St Thomas's Church -
The Marquis of Granby occupies a prime spot on the main roundabout overlooking Penkhull Green, facing across towards St Thomas's Church. The church itself looks magnificent in the wintry sunshine and is flanked by the village hall (hosting Slimming World classes) and two more pubs. I'd like to do both of them but the Manor Court Ale House is resolutely locked, this despite its published trading hours suggesting it should be open. Not to worry, the Greyhound Inn is on hand to claim my custom and soon beguiles me with a real sense of history as befits a place that used to be the local courthouse and began life as a yeoman's residence. Cosy snugs add to the intrigue as I park myself in a window seat with a Timothy Taylor's Landlord and enjoy the timeless views on offer. There's something very British about having a church and a pub in such close proximity and Penkhull's pair seem a fine combination. 

- Sir Stanley -
Confirming that the Manor Court micropub still has no signs of life, I next seek out the nearby charms of the Terrace Inn on Penkhull New Road. This is more your standard estate box-type establishment which feels distinctly more earthy than its competitors, not that I mind that in the slightest. Discount meals and televised sport seem to be the core attraction while a caricature of the legendary Sir Stanley Matthews makes its footballing allegiances clear for all to see. For 3pm on a Friday afternoon it's already lively enough with darts and pool games on the go plus much earnest banter flying around. I make use of the spacious back lounge as a setting for more Pedigree, again the beer quality is more than decent. 

- The Beehive Inn -
Three drinks down and I'm now intent on checking out something I'd spotted on Honeywall earlier. The Beehive doesn't open until four o'clock so I gather a few extra pictures en route, mainly of the Portmeirion pottery works followed by Boon Avenue, then sure enough the door is happily ajar. I understand Marston's used to own this but Joule's seem to be the incumbent brewery these days, hence the application of Boothen Boys and 'Why Why Why Delilah' panel details. I'm first inside for a lovely pint of Draught Bass but it doesn't take long for the regulars to start drifting along, teasing the barmaid about her fire-stoking handiwork (or lack of); I have to say there's a lovely gentle ambiance here, helped by the presence of a resident skeleton quietly minding his own business in the far corner. 

- bru -
Missing out on the micro has given me a spare spot on my itinerary so I head down to London Road for a final Stoke selection. bru is a modern craft bar housed in a former cobblers shop and has recently started trading again after a period of closure. I'm initially drawn towards a 'Salty Kiss' (a lightly sour Magic Rock creation) from the tap selection before rounding off with my beer of the day, Brass Castle's 'Bad Kitty' on cask handpull. I do like my darker ales and this vanilla porter is a favourite I've sampled at many a beer festival so to encounter it here is a real treat, and the resulting pint is utterly gorgeous. bru is certainly quite compact with a few tables around the bar plus a separate small back room, and they stock a wide range of rums, gins and cocktails if you're of that persuasion. As for me, I weave my way back to Stoke Station in time for the 18:25 train pleased with a perfect Penkhull Pub Parade. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment