Sunday, January 15

Waterways Walks: The Cannock Extension Canal

2023 has gotten off to a sluggish start in exploration terms so I'm pleased to blow some of the cobwebs away with a welcome new addition to my occasional Waterways Walks series. The Cannock Extension Canal was originally built to serve the Cannock Chase collieries around Hednesford and Churchbridge, albeit mining subsidence led to much of the line being abandoned in the 1960s. The surviving stretch between Pelsall and Norton Canes still has much to offer as one of the northernmost outposts of the Birmingham Canal Navigations network...

- All Saints National Academy -
Friday 13th January - unlucky for some perhaps - has my watery tale beginning with Bloxwich after a number 69 bus ride across from Wolverhampton to New Invention. The town's railway station (a basic unstaffed facility) and Sandbank flats help my camera creak back to life before Wolverhampton Street has the sad sight of the Turf Tavern long-term closed; I sincerely hope this time capsule of a parlour pub isn't gone for good. All Saints National Academy offers some schoolhouse charms, notably a clock elevation with lettering for the Queen's coronation, while a mysterious shortcut into Bloxwich (Field Road) Cemetery reveals a Victorian chapel. 

- Wyrley & Essington at Holland's Bridge -
Ingram Road and Green Rock Lane help me proceed from Blakenhall Heath towards Goscote where I can briefly intercept the Wyrley & Essington Canal. Holland's Bridge is adjacent to the Green Rivers community facility then there are hints of a Showmans Guild fairground depot comprising stored rides, mobile homes and burger vans as Goscote Works Bridge releases me onto Goscote Lane. I'm keen to revisit a nostalgic pocket of Pelsall where Foundry Lane meets Mouse Hill but the Village Stores shop I remember has become a hairdressing salon. Even in areas that are familiar to me, there are always little changes for me to take note of. 

- A Flats Fate for the Free Trade Inn -
To Pelsall Wood I now go, venturing along Wood Lane to see what has become of the Free Trade Inn. The building had been left in a sorry state for many years and was never going to come back as a pub so it being renovated into flats is a considerable improvement despite my natural misgivings about yet another boozer being consigned to history. My old friend Pelsall Works Bridge is a constant with its Horseley Coal & Iron Company markings and an 1824 datestamp - it's hard to believe there used to be a sizeable ironworks at Pelsall North Common, the final chimneystacks of which were demolished in the 1920s.

- Green Bridge -
And so to the trip's star attraction, the Cannock Extension Canal which must rank among the quieter of the BCN's extremities. Construction commenced in the 1850s and the 5.6 mile line was fully operational through to Hednesford by 1863; of this, only a 1.8 mile-long section to Norton Canes remains in active use. Pelsall Junction's turnover footbridge is my access point as I immediately eye up Friar Bridge with its accompanying cottages (Nos. 211 and 212 for those interested in the BCN's historic property holdings). Pelsall Common, Green and Wyrley Grove Bridges all follow in relatively swift order and the canal channel is absolutely dead straight, making quite a contrast from its meandering Wyrley & Essington counterpart.

- Norton Canes Docks -
Although I can increasingly hear A5 traffic as I edge closer to Watling Street, I have to say I'm otherwise thoroughly enjoying the sense of escape that comes with views looking out over the common and across fields towards Little Wyrley. Beyond Pelsall Road Bridge (which carries the B4154 Lime Lane), there is a moorings compound with a traditional boatbuilding dock where the narrowboats sparkle in the wintry sunshine. The cut then comes to an abrupt sludged-up stop just short of the main road, and that's as far as we can go nowadays.

- Turf Lodge Toby Carvery -
Emerging through the vegetation onto the A5 itself, it's but a short distance to the Turf Lodge which is doing a decent trade in lunchtime dining. I wouldn't usually be remotely fussed about Toby Carvery-type establishments but I've earned myself a spot of refreshment hence a pint of Carling keeps me out of mischief while I dodge the roast dinner crowd. The current tavern is a mid-1930s replacement for a previous coaching inn and does seem to drum up a reasonable passing trade - it's served my purposes at any rate!

- Approaching Wyrley Grove Bridge -
Duly revitalised, I retrace my earlier footsteps back along the Cannock Extension to Pelsall; the weather is starting to cloud over and a gusty breeze makes its presence felt but there are further photo pickings to be had, especially in the vicinity of Wyrley Grove Bridge. My thoughts turn to evening quiz night engagements so I intercept the number 9 bus at Pelsall Fingerpost and meet up with Mr B Junior at Wednesfield's Vine. Korvak's Burden is a top drawer tipple here and the rear snug is as lovely a setting as ever for a natter about cricket, Wolves and examination invigilation happenings. Only one thing could make the day more perfect and that's a Team Bears quiz win... cue a narrow victory secured by random knowledge about Georges, hungry seals and celebrity moustaches. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Agreed Martin - perhaps we've coined a new term here... 'Clockbait'! Cheers, Paul

      Delete
  2. Britain Beermat9:20 am

    A lovely read WME….intrigued by your seal knowledge 😀 often drive from Burton to Shrewsbury along that stretch but yet to succumb to Turf Loge!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beermat - yes the hungry Essex seal was a crucial answer to take Team Bears to a Tettenhall quiz victory. The Turf Lodge is decent enough if you like carveries but otherwise not especially exciting, but they all count! Cheers, Paul

      Delete