Sunday, April 17

A Brownhills Good Friday

In 'normal' years prior to the pandemic, Good Friday would often be reserved for exploration purposes, an approach that has yielded trips to Golds Hill, Greets Green, Lichfield and Redditch to name a few. Easter 2022 offers me a chance to seek fresh Bank Holiday bounty so let us savour another bite out of Brownhills...

- Walsall Wood Football Club -
Friday 15th April 2022 begins with a brace of bus rides, taking the 529 from Wolverhampton to Walsall before switching onto the 10 up through Rushall and Shelfield. The sight of St John's Church prompts me to alight in Walsall Wood where various mining memories are captured in sculptural form, including canine references to 'Our Scruff' and a pitman's pet whippet. Oak Park Leisure Centre has been totally rebuilt since I previously took photos of the facility and is now positioned closer to Coppice Road, although it still keeps Walsall Wood FC's non-league ground (a.k.a. the Boston Bailey Group Stadium) reasonably close company. 

- The Black Cock crows no more -
There's only room in my affections for one West Midlands-based football team with the initials WWFC so I beat a very hasty retreat towards the Daw End Branch Canal. Black Cock Bridge precedes the pub of the same name, an off-the-beaten-track former Banks's boozer that has sadly shut down despite still having a 'card payments only' blackboard on the car park. The ghosts of previous block lettering stain the whitewashed frontage as the central chimney stack cuts a forlorn figure - has this gone for good? Another expired establishment is next in line for pictures whereby the Wheel on Lindon Road has been closed for years. Neighbouring items here include a Pat Collins funfair compound and the Clayhanger Road Gospel Hall. 

- A Brownhills Banner -
Mr D9 and I were only in the Brownhills area back in February but even so I reckon the town is ready for another WME instalment. Having topped up the archives with further snapshots of the Anchor (itself under threat of potential demolition judging by the planning notice outside) and a Winnie-the-Pooh baby boutique montage, I pause to admire a striking sign referencing local transport heritage near Farmfoods. Brownhills High Street isn't quite as busy as usual, no doubt quietened down slightly during the school holidays, so I can enjoy getting peaceful pictures in the increasingly warm spring sunshine.

- St James's Parish Church -
One corner of Brownhills that always appeals to me is that involving Brickiln Street, Vicarage Road and St James's Church. Ogley Hay Nursery School is having its playground relaid while the old library gates on the corner with Short Street remain in situ though the branch building has long been flattened. Built in 1850-51, St James's is a fine landmark complete with its bell turret, small spire and war memorial cross - I also rather like the barrel-roofed church hall as an additional target for my camera. Crossing back over High Street, I recall childhood visits to Brownhills Market which used to based on a patch near Pier Street Footbridge and the Tesco superstore. Sadly many markets struggle for survival these days and in the case of Brownhills the land has been repurposed to host Silver Street apartments. 

- Cooper's Bridge -
Now for what has to go down as a seminal moment in my personal exploration history. The Wyrley & Essington Canal has been a constant through years and years of adventures, yet there is one small segment I'd never actually covered. Pier Street Footbridge has the honour of introducing me to a stretch that arcs around Clayhanger Common, passing the Canoe Club and the desirable properties of Watermead Grange. My favourite discovery of the day simply has to be Cooper's Bridge, a simple enough structure that represents the final missing piece of my Curly Wyrley jigsaw. Creeping ivy and a standard nameplate add a touch of character before Pelsall Old Railway Bridge and Becks Bridge return me to known territory. 

- The Swan, Pelsall Road -
I exit the towpath at Jolly Collier Bridge feeling that I've earned myself a pub interlude or two. Wallace Road and Bradford Road combine to bring me to the Hussey Arms, a Hungry Horse chain outlet close to Holland Park and Brownhills Common. As you might expect, this is a place that focuses heavily on food so I swerve the diners by sitting outside with my pint of John Smiths - nothing to write home about then but it does the job. I'm far more enamoured with the Swan on Pelsall Road however, a superb free house serving up gorgeous Golden Glow and equally excellent cobs (add your own onion from a special dispensing jar). 

- New Invention Brewery Taproom -
I imagine I could happily have spent the entire afternoon in the Swan but for the fact I've promised myself a brewery bonus in Bloxwich. The 23 bus can take me door to door and is operated by Walsall Community Transport - it's quite a novelty boarding a Ring & Ride-style minibus with seatbelts for the journey via Mallory Crescent, Abbotts Street and Valley Road. My ultimate destination is the New Invention Brewery based on the Pinfold Trading Estate (i.e. behind the Wheatsheaf) where I'm taking advantage of their earlier Bank Holiday opening hours. It's disconcertingly dark inside as I first enter the taproom unit but I soon acclimatise over a pint of cask 'Nectar' which admittedly lives up to its name. I can't resist staying for one of their craft keg offerings, the result being Nightfall Stout at a mere 7% - wowsers! I'll most definitely keep an eye out for their beers more in future, but for now the homeward 9 awaits.
Cheers... and Happy Easter!

4 comments:

  1. Love the place names round Brownhills like New Invention.

    What happened to that Art Deco pub in Brownhills ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin, oh yes some intriguing place names around Walsall (one of my personal favourites is Pleck) so if you're going to name your brewery after one of them I suppose New Invention sounds the most craft!

      Sadly the Royal Oak (known locally as the Middle Oak because of other oak-titled boozers in the area) became a rotting shell that must be becoming a candidate for demolition if it hasn't already been flattened - it was just about still standing last time I went past though. Such a shame for a building that retained several original 1930s features, but the architecture alone wasn't enough to save it. Cheers, Paul

      Delete
  2. You tease!!! I thought it was going to be a pub free post then you pull three out of the bag including a Tap House...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beermat, yes it doesn't hurt to keep your readers on your toes. I couldn't go to Brownhills and not squeeze in at least one pub visit, and the fact the Swan was open earlier for Good Friday made that an absolute must. The New Invention Brewery is worthy of a closer look as I really enjoyed my fleeting visit and would love to sample more of their beer range; there's something gritty about drinking ale on a Bloxwich industrial estate I have to say! Cheers, Paul

      Delete