Sunday, February 13

Shifnal, Evelith and Kemberton

Thus far in 2022 I've attempted to cover the breadth of the West Midlands by getting a trip for each area safely in the bank. We've already had Birmingham's craft breweries,  Solihull strangeness (care of Dickens Heath), Old Hill for the Sandwell component, a dose of Dudley's Priory Estate and a Coven Heath canal walk to sample Staffordshire. Outings involving Walsall and Warwickshire are in the pipeline for the not-too-distant future as well, so when a free Friday presents itself I seek out Shropshire inspiration...

- Shifnal Scenery -
Friday 11th February then and my idea involves partially recreating a walk Dad and I did over thirteen years ago. Shifnal will be my starting point once the 9:53 semi-fast Shrewsbury train has done its duty, and the town still tries to look enchanting despite the presence of roadworks digging up the street directly underneath the railway bridge. Architectural gems that sparkle in the sunshine include timber-framed treats either side of the Market Place (one such is home to Christopher's Restaurant), plus Idsall House and the Park House Hotel on Park Street.

- Two and three quarter miles to Kemberton -
Having harvested some initial Shifnal photographs, I commence the walk proper by following Park Lane out towards Grindle. The whole circuit is roughly six miles in total and should see me striding through the Salopian countryside if all goes to plan. It's certainly so far so good as I pass St Andrew's Primary School before Lodge Hill Farm heralds the transition from houses to fields. I can hear the occasional rat-a-tat-tatting from woodpeckers on the breeze as I peer amongst the hedgerows hoping for a brambly picture or two. The pavement runs out just prior to the Upton Lane junction but there's barely any traffic for me to be concerned about.

-  This way to Evelith -
Indeed, so quiet is the setting that I don't think I see another soul for the best part of an hour - it's just me, the winding lanes and a few bleating sheep as I really savour that rare sense of getting away from it all. Badger's Folly off Hinnington Road is my prompt to turn right and aim for Evelith, noting two more agricultural establishments (Evelith Manor Farm as operated by J. W Poole & Co, and Sunnyside Farm with its livery yard). I couldn't have asked for a nicer morning weather-wise, chilly yes but not too cold and with plenty of wintry brightness.

- Evelith Mill -
After about forty minutes of steady progress I reach the tiny hamlet of Evelith, comprising a handful of properties loosely dotted around the historic former watermill - this is said to date from the mid-19th century with round-arched windows and an associated cart shed, albeit the waterwheel itself is no longer in situ. Next door is the red brick grandeur of Evelith Mill House, also 19th century in origin with both buildings having been awarded Grade II listed status. The Wesley Brook runs close by and I'm intending to chart a little of its course later on.   

- A Scattering of Snowdrops -
For now though I'll simply carry on along the lane another mile (give or take) in order to reach Kemberton, a more substantial settlement compared to Evelith although by no means a big place; at the time of the 2011 Census it had just shy of 250 inhabitants. Notable amenities include a riding school, the village hall - complete with a ceramic map designed to mark the millennium - and St Andrew's Parish Church, whereby it's at the latter that I enjoy a few moments of quiet reflection whilst surveying pretty snowdrops in the churchyard.  

- The Masons Arms -
My walk has reached the halfway point so it seems wise to pause for refreshment, and where better to do this than at the Masons Arms. I'm not all that far from Telford territory here but thankfully the industrial estates of Halesfield don't encroach enough to interrupt the lovely pastoral views from the pub's front (or is it back?) porch - the building seemingly prefers to face the fields rather than looking out over the lane to Madeley. Anyway, an Alexa-selected array of modern pop tunes provides the background noise to an average pint of Wye Valley HPA - the surroundings score highly, the music and the beer less so. 

- St Andrew's, Shifnal -
Retracing my footsteps back to Evelith Mill as promised, I pick up the path alongside the Wesley Brook, a watercourse which flows through the millpond and acts as a tributary of the River Worfe. Although the brook trickles all the way through to Shifnal, my walking instructions require me to detour via the edges of a whiffy sewage farm and then utilise the driveway of the Manor Barns complex. I emerge onto the A4169 easily enough from whence it's a short distance up to Church Street so that I can admire the second St Andrew's of the day. 

- Kings Yard Micropub -
The walk has gone well and I've left myself a couple of hours to play with prior to my next train connection - how's about some well-earned ales? The Crown is a very good choice, no longer owned by Wood's Brewery but nevertheless serving up a quality glass of Backyard Blonde. I'd normally claim to be very familiar with Shifnal's pint possibilities but a new arrival has totally evaded the WME radar, meaning the Kings Yard micropub takes me completely by surprise. Nestled between two takeaways, it's a great addition to the town's taverns and the Titanic Cherry Dark is bordering on the exceptional. Burslem's finest are similarly represented at the Anvil so I finish on a cracking Chocolate & Vanilla Stout, munch a tasty Pork & Stilton pie and catch the 16:07 departure home. Shropshire sorted, bring on the next adventure!

2 comments:

  1. When we did a crawl of Shifnal just pre-Covid, the Crown was by some way the worst pub we visited - everything grey apart from Pink being played at maximum volume! The best IMV were the Plough, White Hart and Wheatsheaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mudgie, nobody needs Pink at high decibels! I enjoyed my visit to the Crown and thankfully did not incur any ear-splitting background music - I don't think the new owners have had it all that long. Even so, I do agree that it gets eclipsed by some of the other local pubs. I love the White Hart so it was a wrench to omit it on this occasion, and the Wheatsheaf has a lot of charm too. The new micropub offers something slightly different and on Friday's evidence it wouldn't surprise me if it was soon in GBG contention. Cheers, Paul

      Delete