Tuesday, February 1

Two More From January...

As the closing credits roll on January's explorational exploits I realise I've completed another two trips since my River Rea Ramble post. In order to bring things up to date, here are a few Old Hill observations followed by Coven Heath contemplations...

- Uncle B at Haden Hill -
The first untold trip takes place on Saturday 22nd January and sees me undertaking a circular walk from Cradley Heath. The industrial surroundings of Woods Lane and Portersfield Road get me started, then I head across to Haden Hill by way of Barrs Road. Valley Road shops include the Timbertree Neighbourhood Nursery (adorned with educational characters on its mechanical shutters) before Haden Hill Park gives an excuse to reacquaint myself with 'Uncle B' the Big Sleuth bear - his quote of the day is "just remember life is tuff".

- Spring Meadow Signage -
Wrights Lane echoes to the thwack of morning hockey practice from the Ormiston Forge Academy and Halesowen Road does its best to entice in the Saturday shoppers. The bells of Holy Trinity bong for midday in telling me that the Spring Meadow should be open - the pub has bounced back impressively after suffering severe fire damage a few years ago. A 2021 refurbishment has created a most inviting interior with dainty teacup candle holders on each table and fabric bunting strung from the curtain rails; my ale choice is Hobgoblin IPA , a quality pint as the barmaid sorts out her lottery numbers. I like it here!

- A Wheelie Thirsty Haul -
A tandem of Fixed Wheel outlets will crown my Saturday shenanigans, so whilst in Old Hill it is essential for me to revisit the Wheelie Thirsty micropub. You can't knock Black Country value of pint, cob and crisps for £5.50 - in this case the beer is 'Golden Bicycle' (rather punchy at 4.6% abv) albeit I was always going to succumb to the Blackheath Stout sooner or later. Fixed Wheel's newest enterprise is the Handle Bar on Cradley Heath High Street hence I make my way there via Lawrence Lane and partake of an 'Alright Bab' Mild - bostin' stuff! The brewery seems to be going from strength to strength and I rate both establishments very highly.

- Church on the Common, Coven Heath -
The second trip I haven't yet told you about is a gentle waterways wander from Friday 28th January. Joining the Staffs & Worcs at Compton Lock, I steadily count down a whole host of familiar locations (Tettenhall Old Bridge, Aldersley Junction, Autherley Junction, Marsh Lane) to reach the fringes of Jaguar Land Rover at i54. A rocky outcrop means the canal narrows noticeably either side of Forster Bridge while the passage beneath the M54 boasts some subversive street art. I'm pleased to see Coven Heath again, the hamlet being host to a handful of mobile home parks, some community allotments and a former Mission Church which is now used as a private dwelling.

- Cross Green Bridge -
A further gander along Ball Lane reveals little more than a sewage treatment plant, the odours from which soon encourage me to rejoin the towpath. Brinsford Bridge isn't far away, carrying the busy A449 overhead, and beyond that is the small settlement of Cross Green huddled around the junction of Dark Lane, Brewood Road and the Old Stafford Road. Cross Green Bridge itself is rippled with shadows dancing across the centuries-old brickwork whilst the Anchor pub offers a warm welcome to anyone with muddy boots (or indeed muddy paws). Footwear-wise I've avoided too much of a spattering but I pop inside anyway for a pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord and a luxurious sit down in a very comfy leather armchair. 

- Golden Glow at the Golf Club -
Casually glancing through the Whatpub listings, I happen to notice that the Three Hammers Golf Club is showing as serving real ale. Naturally I decide to investigate and am rewarded with a Golden Glow from the bistro bar, albeit I sit outside - yes, in January! - so as to dodge the lunchtime dining rush. The wider golfing complex here was established in 1965 with an 18 hole course designed by Sir Henry Cotton, while the driving range certainly seems popular. Back on the canal, I proceed to Slade Heath where an ugly green service pipe blights what might otherwise be quite an attractive scene flanked by a whitewashed wharf cottage.

- A Keg & Comfort Conclusion -
From Slade Heath I negotiate bumpy grass verges past Standeford Mill to pitch up at the Harrows, a roadside A449 inn that has fallen victim to the craze for grey paintwork. Thankfully Titanic's Cappuccino Stout distracts me from the dusky decor although the gents toilets look like somebody let Heath Robinson loose in an air raid shelter. With a 5pm Oxley finale in mind, I return to Wolverhampton territory for a nostalgic loop around childhood Bee Lane and Rakegate haunts. The Keg & Comfort micropub is then on hand at the allotted hour to round the day off over a Korvak's Conquest (Fownes Brewery). Based in a former branch of Barclay's Bank, the pub plugs a hole where other establishments have closed and I have to say I'm impressed by their homely approach, including a gallery of canine visitors. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. A veritable smorgasbord of Black Country belters!!! Agree re Fixed Wheel brewery...I've not been to any of their pubs but they appear to be sprouting up at a rate of knots and I've had their beer, which is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth a visit if you're over this way Beermat - you can easily do the Fixed Wheel brewery bar and the two micropubs by catching the Stourbridge train from Snow Hill, and as you say their beers are usually top notch. Cheers, Paul

      Delete